A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Advanced Flash Question...

Question

I one more question. Basically, what I want is to have a rectangle on the left, inside of which will be a few buttons. The rectangle will have a top and bottom half. On the mouseover of any button a) a small, continuous animation will appear next to the button (creating the actual anim. I can do, just wondering how to get it to pop up on mousever) and b) I want to have text appear in the bottom half of the rectangle also on a mouseover. Thanks a lot for all your help...

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

you need to create movie clips for both the animation and the text you want to appear. Put a stop action in the first frame and a red rectangle (trust me), so the movie will not play, Now on the stage place the movie clip of the animation next to the buttons and the text movie clip in the bottom of the rectangle. Now you need to create the text in the text movie clip, put a keyframe in the timeline for as many buttons you have, put the word you want in each frame, lable the frames in the text movie clip use the word that appears as the text of that frame. Now open the animaiton movie clip put a keyframe in frame 2 and put the animation as a movie clip into frame 2. Now you need to name the movie clips lets call the animation "1" and the text movie clip "text". you do this by double clicking on the movie clip. when the dialog box appears you will see a box on the bottom right. name the clip now its time to code the buttons so heres what the code will look like:

On (Roll Over)
    Begin Tell Target ("text")
    Go to and Stop ("MENU1")
    End Tell Target
    Begin Tell Target ("1")
    Go to and Stop (2)
    End Tell Target
    End On
    On (Roll Out)
    Begin Tell Target ("text")
    Go to and Stop (1)
    End Tell Target
    Begin Tell Target ("1")
    Go to and Stop (1)
    End Tell Target
    End On

you need to repeat this action for each button changing the action of the text lable and you will need to change the name of the animated movie next to the button or they will not work. (ie animation next to button 1 call it 1, animation next to button 2 call it 2 and so on. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.