dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [question] what do you think of my animations?

[question] what do you think of my animations?

okay, I have some animations here I was hoping you could look at. this is from my player sprite (this is like... a 10th of them, but you get my point) and in order to insure I get a nice looking professional game, Id like it if you guys could critique my animations. now word of warning, dont expect to get more then 10 frams per second, because apperently its too art intensive... bah! so I need to convert my animations to .gifs. so while were on the topic does anyone have a suggestion that wont take a day away from dev time to convert my 50 something animations? thanks

anyway, without further ado, I give you the .swf. Please tell me what you think and any thoughs you have on improving them

http://www.bosscomp.com//upload/DMCgameArt.swf

Thanks!!!!
    Your a toaster and thats all youll ever be!

Submit Modifications
    They look cool to me, only critique is the walk cycle, his right arm raises way higher than his left so it kinda looks like a pimp walk or something.
    Use soap! Charisma + 5 bonus

yeah I see what you mean, thanks for the feed back!

my x booty it is that BIG
    the walking animation u can clearly see the loop on it
    i love the devil maycry look nice one thing though make the sword look more sharp and realistic not so cartoonish.
    Project||[GAME]-on hold for now
    ------------------
    [Hero]-80%
    [Enemies]-1%
    [Weapons]-90%
    [Items]-0%
    [Levels]-10%

Submit Modifications
    Yeah and also the right foot stops for a second. It's not a smooth flow. I've done a few walk animations and I know they are major pains in the ass to do but once you get it right it will look awesome, just keep the movement cyclic and even and smooth.
    Use soap! Charisma + 5 bonus

yeah I see what you mean with the foot, again, thank you for your feedback!

I like them,but increase the frame rate!

As for the shooting, you need the actual reason for the recoil.

A gun will recoil after firing, and load the next bullet. Pistols do this by the top section jumping back.

Also add a dispensed bullet being tossed out of the pistols chamber!

yeah, increase the fps! Normal movies use about 20 fps I believe, so you should stay about there, not like 12 which it seems you have. You will have to draw more frames, but the animation will be much better

Looks great... nice work! I mean it.

One little thing tho....
    Whats up with the "behind the head blackninja style" kinda shooting.

Does that look cool?

Wouldnt it give the same effect, pointing the two guns in two directions by extending your arms straight out from your body.
    But hey, heors work in mysterious ways.

Again, great looking gpx. Keep it up.

Best regards
    Rosenkrantz

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    I like it a lot so far. Why are there so many demon/vampire/dead guy who have two guns with different colors these days?

Once thing you might want to look at (which hasn't been named yet) is easing in/easing out for to the sword swings.
    It is currently one smooth motion from beginning to end. For the first blow, I think it would look better if it started a little slow at the top, was fast in the middle (the contact point) and then slowed down at the end. That way, it looks like he is using his weight and arms to add power to the swing and then slowing down after he's contacted to prepare another blow.

You might want to look at sword slashes in a game like Samurai Shodown to see what I mean.

Looks nice for me, but slow frame rate.

Really liked the idle, and the first shooting one is nearly there.

Just wondering why you've done them so big for a game though ?

Glad you posted them

Squize.

Looking good; there were only a few problems I could see.

First was the right foot during the walk cycle, which was already mentioned.

Second, when firing behind the head, the entire character shifts up and down a few pixels.

Third, the sword animation terminates rather suddenly; I don't know if the animation is supposed to start and end with him holding the sword, but as it plays now it looks like he draws the sword, does the attack, and then instantly it appears on his back.

I agree that the frame rate needs to be upped. You should also look into what WilloughbyJackson said about using different speeds during the animation to show force and control. You might want to check out the art and anime forum for additional comments.

Keep up the good work, and make sure to show us the final product.
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

thanks for the feedback

now here comes the sad part. Its set to run at 30 fps. yeah. I need to fix that big time.

As for the pixel jumping, thats because of the way It got dropped in the Animation test MC, so thats just a little careless error.

oh, and as for the shooting to both sides, I actually have 3 or 4 animations to do that, and it randomly picks between them to add a little bit of flair.

as for the size, Im gonna resize him before I convert him to a .gif, I just havent gotten that far yet.

As for everything else, thanks for the feed back once again, and Ill get to adding those things you suggested and post it back up once Im done with that!

Altho real quick, I think I should explain the gameplay to better understand things like the side shooting animation. Much like Devil May Cry, as Im sure you guys can tell its based on, the game is based on looking cool while you kill stuff, and you get scores based around that. Im actually planning on making two games with this, one with a subtitle "Frantic" which is the more pointless shoot em up game (also, theres a female character who is a whiz with knives that will be playable *hopefully*) and I longer game I hope to make with more of a plot line. But for the animations, I think Im gonna start over on them for the most part...

Alright, so in the mean time, before I can update the animations, heres the concept art for Drake, the little guy up there, so feel free to tell me what you think of that as well.

*UPDATE* I replaced the sketch with the inks, I didnt like having just a plain sketch up. except for it looks like crap for some reason... oh well, you get the idea.

Last edited by blakfeld; 01-25-2005 at 06:42 PM.