A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Macromedia Director

Macromedia Director

Dont know if this is the right forum, but anyway, does anyone know of any websites made in this software that I can have a look at?

Started using Director at Uni again after 6 months of peace without it and I cant believe how garbage this program actually is (IMO of course). Anything you create, and anyones examples he shows us looks very 'cartoony' indeed. Is it possible to make a website that looks as powerful as anything made in flash or not?

Any examples to any sites that you know of that have been made in Director?

Cheers

Addicted To FruityLoops Studio FlashKid105's Avatar
    To my knowledge, I have not heard of any websites that were made in Director at all. IMO, if you really want to design and develop a website, why not use Flash? Director is a whole new program to learn(Lingo is different from Actionscript). Yeah, I've seen quite a few games that look like they were made in Flash but they are actually the result of Director. So really, if you want to develop a site, stick with Flash. Leave Director for more complicated stuff.

You wouldn't use Director to build a complete website, or even parts like menus or splashes.

The player isn't as ubiquitous, launches slow and it carries way too much overhead.

Shockwave is best used for games or robust applications.

If you feel sites done in Flash look 'cartoony' then I'd venture to suggest that's an issue with the designer, not the tool.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Addicted To FruityLoops Studio FlashKid105's Avatar
    Absolutely,

I've seen lots of Flash sites and I don't see them as cartoony at all.

http://www.shocksites.com/home/index.asp

If you know Lingo or Java script, It is way more functional than flash. It is the godfather of macromedia.

No no palexc, I wasnt referring to flash sites looking cartoony, I was referring to director! hell, some flash websites ive came across are anything but!

With regards to director, i didnt realise its purpose wasnt to build websites in it...and out of interest what is directors main purpose? Ive learnt flash over the past few months and take a great interest in it..with Director, I cant get into it, and Im not keen on it at all. Only another 5 months of it to go.

You certainly can build websites in Director if you want, but it's not the best tool for the job.

Shockwave came about before Flash as a way of web-enabling Director movies, but it was and still is clunky (albeit powerful.)

Macromedia then bought FutureSplash because it was designed specifically for the web.

Right now, Director's more or less relegated to authoring CD-ROMs, applications, kiosks, and DVD's. It's not dead, it's quite powerful and does all these things quite well.

Flash is just the hot stepsister stealing the limelight because most of the development going on is for web distribution, not CD-ROM.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Originally posted by PAlexC
    Flash is just the hot stepsister stealing the limelight because most of the development going on is for web distribution, not CD-ROM.

Yep. Macromedia had to develop a sexier faster car to lure some of the web designers back in the 90's. Mission accomplished.

another great resource: http://www.lingoworkshop.com/index.php