A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lefteyewilly vs. mandissected :: wrath of photoshop and bananas

You guys have definately progressed a lot since the beginning of this battle. I mean if you look at your first few volleys compared to the last few, it's night and day. Everything from color palette to blending to imagery has been improved. Awesome job guys, love seeing this progression of talent...keep it up!

Thanks for your comments everyone, they really help to drive me on to better things. If you think anything is wrong or missing I'll be glad if you mention it, it will help me take things up another notch.

Here it is...i don't thikn i've put enough detail into it. I need help with brush techniques rather than just as an effect
    Last edited by lefteyewilly; 06-02-2006 at 09:32 PM.

Nice ideas again lefteye, I kept finding extra details evertime I look. I think the pool of blood is a nice touch and you were brave putting her in water and working with the reflection, I think you pulled it off. A little critique is that I think the angel is too bright compared to the background, she jumps out at you a bit. Nice image again though, I'll try getting a volley up soon.

sorry it took awhile, was having a bit of a crative block

Last edited by mandissected; 04-17-2005 at 04:24 PM.

I think i need help...lol
    Also, I'm adding this because, I know there are many people from different countries here....
    The images posted on the trees are of Smokey The Bear, who in America (not sure of the rest of the world) who tells kids "Only you can prevent forest fires", i hope this sheds some light on those images. Of course being American, I could be ignorant enough not to know Smokey is an international icon.

this volley does not exist anymore
    Last edited by lefteyewilly; 06-02-2006 at 09:36 PM.

WOW, no reactions in 24 hours?....should i give up?

lol lefteye, don't take it personal, I think its been a pretty slow couple of days in the arena really.

I liked your last pic, the way the top corner was 'rubbed out' with the smoke was really cool. I think the posters look too flat rather than curved around the tree, I think if you curved them it would have taken the pic up another notch. I didn't really get the cracky affect on the guy either, and it looks overlayed rather than on the guy. Overall I liked the pic though.

Sorry about this pic, I struggled for inspiration.
    Last edited by mandissected; 04-17-2005 at 04:26 PM.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    I like this image mandissected, not a lot going on there though. I like the simplicity and it took me a few miutes to see what you reused.

All in all a good image.

well, from my last post, I have to say i went a bit overboard with the red cracks on the guys shirt....i had a cool thing going with just his skin lit up, but thought it was missing something.

When I put those cracks on the shirt and the glowing stuff his skin i was going for a body dissintegrating with the skin soaking up the niccotine/smoke....but i don't think i put enough subtleness into it.

I also tried FOREVER to wrap the posters to the trees, but i just couldn't find the right technique, so i just used the eraser.

I took some time with this one...actually got to use some of my own stocks

Last edited by lefteyewilly; 06-02-2006 at 09:34 PM.

I know everyone's busy with other posts/battles but I honestly need comments on my last post. Sorry. :*. I'm getting discourraged......if you hate it pleast tell me, i have no ego.

I like it. I think it's one of your best from this battle.

I think you try to do too much to the images. You have some nice ideas, but sometimes simple is better. And don't get discouraged because of the lack of responses. The time and thought on these images are not wasted. You have improved. Keep practicing and once you acquire the skills, you won't need to ask for responses. They will come automatically.

Xanthe00 hit it the head. In fact, I couldn't put my thumb just quite on it... your images overgo simplicity - remember, less is more sometimes - and go too deeply into plugins and overlaying layers that look "tacked on" as opposed to worked in.

The last image, you could have went with a simpler theme, less overlay around the edges, and it would have made a better impact.

The colors you used on the last one, the palette is nice and tight. But my eyes are drawn away from the middle back to the edges due to the stuff that's there.

Go simple, think about making an image that will stand alone by itself. And think about your layout much like an advertisement... keep the focus on the main things, not the smaller things. The smaller things should add to the bigger picture, not pull away from it.

Step away from the plugins a bit too. Work more with brushes and layers to create more subtle photo manipulations.

Hope that helps... and forgive me for not posting any critiques. I've all but left the Arena due to certain parties.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Thanks gerb, that really helps.

Don't leave!

Sorry for the wait Lefteye. Tried something a little different here so any comments would be great.

Critique on your last image - I thought it was nice but too cluttered, it just seemed to cramped. I thought you done well to make a complete window frame out of what was in my image. It took me quite a few looks to associate the two photos with the two headstones, shows a lot of thought went into all aspects of the pic. Keep it going and you'll get as good technically as you already are cretively, then your pics will be stunning instead of just good

Last edited by mandissected; 04-17-2005 at 04:26 PM.

Nice pic. It mixes a few different design aspects, espcially with the white knockout cloud/bubbles. It has a good balance too, however, i'd like to see a bit more work with the statue being worked into the image.

Keep it going and you'll get as good technically as you already are cretively, then your pics will be stunning instead of just good
    Thanks for the feedback. That's exactly what I'm trying to do, I know the ideas i have behind each post, but it's the execution and technical aspects I have to work on.

Let's keep it goin...
    I hope you can see where i used an element from the last one.

I'm leaving the attached image just in case Geocities goes down (like always)

I have to credit http://www.sxc.hu for the pics i used.
    Last edited by lefteyewilly; 06-02-2006 at 09:37 PM.

yowza lefteye, my favorite so far...

Originally posted by ondraedan
    yowza lefteye, my favorite so far...
    I'm flattered...really I am