A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: open battle :: all about abstracts (read first post)

Simple abstract battle

Here's the deal: I'm looking for a simple abstract battle. By abstract I mean not much 'realism' in the work. This means the usual grunged out photo composition is not what I'm looking for, I'm looking for hopefully interesting 'grid' design, where the position of objects and shapes are what are most prominant. Screwing with photos is fun, I know, but I really would like a battle that is more intense in the design aspect.
    The goal in mind is to hopefully inspire some cool layout designs that might prove helpful in real world uses, like websites, printed materials, ect. Not that I have anything in mind at the moment that I'm needing inspiration for, but I'm finding myself recently re-hashing the same old layouts for clients, and I'm hoping to pump up a bit of creativity in design in this battle.
    What I would love to see is some cool designs that don't rely on photography, see some cool color schemes, interesting layouts, nice typography(one of my great weaknesses), ect.
    What I am not looking for is your basic techno-digital-abstract. You know, the kind where it could be made by robots:
    Open XYZ 3D app, draw 3 lines, use 2-rail sweep, render with semi-cool lighting and camera wide angle, put tons of boxes tiny text and obscure things over top in PS.
    The rules
    Very layed back. The only strict rule I would say is to clearly work off the previous volley. This does not mean you actually have to re-use part of the image(in fact you probably won't want to), but there has to be a clear connection/inspiration/evolution of some sort.

NOTE: Please announce in the thread when you are about to go, and to whom you are responding. It is imperative that all contestants announce their image before posting. This will allow others to not double up by "answering" the same prior image.

Here's the serve, starting quite simple, but hopefully giving you an idea of what I mean by 'abstract'.
    Last edited by gerbick; 02-12-2005 at 03:44 AM.
    >flashl!ght<
    All the normal names were taken.
    Ron Paul was right.

BTW, here's an idea of what I'm not looking for. This literally took me a few minutes to make from scratch
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

I like the idea of this but not sure if my skills are up to it. I'll give it a go but if I'm lacking don't feel you have to carry on playing me.

wow, i've never seen someone post what they DON'T want to see. that definitely makes me feel that i'm not up to par for this battle, so i'll pass. have fun...can't wait to see the results!

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Don't know if this is what you were thinking, like I said before though, if you don't like it just drop it. I'm new to all this so I won't be offended.

That works! Definately the idea I'm talking about when I say 'abstract.'

Couple quick clarifications

Nords - Yeah I realize how intimidating all the "what I don't want to see" talk must seem, but I don't mean to sound like I know what I'm doing! I just was trying to define a battle theme that was a little more, er, abstract in terms of themology. I certainly am not one who's skill should scare the likes of you away!

I also don't mean to scare away the use of anything remotely 'technical' in theme. In reality, all designs can almost be summed up as either: clean, grunge, and technical. </extreme oversimplicifaction>. I just more meant the lazy digital abstract that is really random(as cool as it can look sometimes).

And finally for mandissected, I say depending on the speed and fun rate this kicks off at, we set a limit(say 10 by default, but if it goes fast we can raise it ) and at the end try a collaborative piece, or a combination of all previous vollies, or something kind of interesting like that. Then we can cheer or whatever is supposed to happen at the end of a battle

And finally finally, my volley coming soon
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

Ooo, if you guy’s keep going like this then this is going to be some crazy looking stuff. And by crazy I mean funky,… and by funky I mean fresh,… and by fresh I mean different. Crazy I’m telling ya!

(sorry i was out for a bit, but Im back now, and with a volley)

Lost the grunginess, but grabbed alot of the rounded box formation out of your volley. Also, speaking of funky, check out how it started before I toned it down a bit
    valentine??
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

realy nice battle so far guys, keep it up.
    subgenius.com

sorry about the quality - I'm obviously not so good at these clean designs, I'll keep practicing though and hopefully pick up the standard again next round.

Criticisms of all my pics are welcmed to help me get better, Thanks

there take that

Ha Ha, I'm the fierce. mr. know it all.

Last edited by gerbick; 02-09-2005 at 02:14 AM.

nice pic nepzap, want me to host it for you?

ack! that is a freakish face, nepzap! liked the 'dimensional' view of the data disk, so...

hm, well I suppose this is now officially an Open Battle, if that's allright with mandissected. But for anybody who wants to participate, please read the first post.

mandissected -
    funk! i HAVE to give that a spin, time... time...

think abstract, people
    Last edited by >flashl!ght<; 02-09-2005 at 11:22 AM.
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

mandissected

mandissected.

that's cool of you, if it's not to much trouble?

Sorry for the delay

vol 2

Last edited by gerbick; 02-09-2005 at 02:15 AM.

Re: Sorry for the delay

Originally posted by nepzap2
    vol 2
    wow thats cool man... really out there i like it. different.
    aneurysm

nepzap - your pics are hosted at -
    here and here so copy the URL's, update your posts and keep the volleys coming

flash - open battle is fine with me, it makes me feel less guilty about my lack of skill just one condition though, NO CALLING ME MANDI!!! thats a girls name lol, Jon or mandissected will do fine

There... changed the url's for nepzap. Thanks mandissected for hosting nepzap's images.

welcome back nepzap. you should look seriously into http://www.imageshack.us for some image hosting. I've hosted a couple of your pictures in the past.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

keep em coming people

not much of an obvious connection to the previous vollies(but bringing back that face), but definately inspired:
    "i say screw the rounded boxes!" - lets get pointy

if you get my not so subtle drift
    Last edited by >flashl!ght<; 02-09-2005 at 11:20 AM.
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

NO CALLING ME MANDI!!!
    (emphasis completely original )

Woops, i didnt think about it typed out - lol. how about 'man', that work?
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.