A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 2005 Portfolio

2005 Portfolio

So I finally finished my 2005 portfolio (only a month late). I had to launch it incomplete because my url is being ran in a national ad campaign this month and I needed something showing my work up with a means of contacting me.

Basically I have done more layout sketches than I care to count over the last few months, many went to production, none made the final cut. I finally realized that I need to break this down to the bare bones-aesthetically because I was consistently pigeon wholing myself with designs that potentially would have appealed to specific audience.

I also took into great consideration that the content is the sole purpose of this site, and I didn’t want the site to take away from the content. In the past I would have taken this opportunity to show off what I can do by going all out on a layout but I feel that taking that route was a mistake in the past.

Print section will be down for the time being and the first button of the second row in the interactive page is not linked because that is getting a site redesign as we speak.

Let me know what your opinions are. What works/doesn’t work, both aesthetically and technically?

Thanks guys/gals

Abound Media

It's pretty dope!

Flash designer
    Hi there,

I think you have done really well with the site. I like the simplictic, minimalistic look and will be aiming for that myself with my second portfolio later this year.

The colours seem to go well, nothing to bright like on my site either!

On all accounts it looks and works well. Only things I would really say is that the site appears very small on my monitor and could do with be centrered too.

L8rz,

Ja
    Last edited by theiceman; 02-08-2005 at 08:32 PM.

i think it's ok. the print doesn't load though.

comments

Nice work. I think the simplicity works. You might consider displaying the site in the middle of the browser, instead of to the left. I would maybe add a small bit of explanatory text to the rollovers in your gallery so you can scan through the options quicker by just rolling your mouse over the images and clicking on those that interest you. Something that I regard as critical is the ability to click on the gallery samples and go to the actual websites. I think the text headers in the contact input boxes should be a different colour to the text the user types in. I think you should error check for a legal email address and allow the user to send a second message.
    Have Fun!

anti-intro coalition founder

Re: comments

Originally posted by philippeIngels
    Nice work. I think the simplicity works. You might consider displaying the site in the middle of the browser, instead of to the left. I would maybe add a small bit of explanatory text to the rollovers in your gallery so you can scan through the options quicker by just rolling your mouse over the images and clicking on those that interest you. Something that I regard as critical is the ability to click on the gallery samples and go to the actual websites. I think the text headers in the contact input boxes should be a different colour to the text the user types in. I think you should error check for a legal email address and allow the user to send a second message.
    great comments guys, and good ideas philippeingels! I aggree with the comments made about navigating the work.

admedia, Im glad that you can read
    and your right, my portfolio doesn't hold a candle to your 1998 mockup.

nevermind... why not just say under development or something when you click it? i just like to look at the sites... not read a 5 paragraph explaination of what I am looking at. A site should be pretty self- explanitory without a preface. particularly when a site is live.

my portfolio should be ready for your review sometime in the next few days... you will get your chance.
    Last edited by admedia; 02-09-2005 at 04:43 PM.

overall a really great site, very professional. good work!

a few small things..the comments text on the contact form is slightly larger than the others (name, email). most people won't notice, but just thought i'd through it out there. also i'd disable the buttons of the current section. for example, if you click on what's when you're on the home page, it goes through the short animation to load the same information. same goes for the other pages.

like i said, tiny things. but overall you've done a solid job, and have some really great work to back it up.
    it's all in the details
    conrad-design.com

anti-intro coalition founder
    Originally posted by DMB Lover 41
    overall a really great site, very professional. good work!

a few small things..the comments text on the contact form is slightly larger than the others (name, email). most people won't notice, but just thought i'd through it out there. also i'd disable the buttons of the current section. for example, if you click on what's when you're on the home page, it goes through the short animation to load the same information. same goes for the other pages.

like i said, tiny things. but overall you've done a solid job, and have some really great work to back it up.
    Good eye, thank you much for pointing those things out. This is why I posted, so others can catch my 4 in the morning f-ups and give me constructive crit.

I never even considered the nav doing that, im with you on disabling them.

Thanks for the advice

Very slick and professional, perfect example of its genre.