A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash EXE project help. PLZ help me

Flash EXE project help. PLZ help me

I've been working on some DemoCD project.

I figured out how to make links to URL's and e-mails.
    I pretty much made each page of the project its own EXE file...

How Do I combine multiple pages into one EXE file?
    (yes I still have all the project files.)

Also I need to know how to link from each file within the EXE.
    As well as mouse over, text color change (for simple links).

Would also like to know how to mouse over and make more text appear
    (Topic, branching out, then back in as cursor is removed)

I know its alot, but I can't find how to do these things, and I've been reading multiple tutorials and through forums for the last few days... its just been making me very irritable...

Thanks for you help!
    Last edited by Elzieran; 02-08-2005 at 08:28 PM.

I pretty much made each page of the project its on EXE file...
    You mean they were swf's before, loading into like a main movie?

Just make the main movie the exe, the rest will still work exactly as it did before, when you burn all the files to the CD. All a exe is is a swf with the flashplayer inside it.

No no,

I have the .fla project files, converted as EXE files

so I have about 12 EXE's, that I want to be part of the same EXE program.

So when I burn to CD.. it will all be in one EXE file, that branches them all together as one "program"

This is my main problem, but other then that like I said, mouse over text box color changes or what not to make my links look like they actually do something other then just being pure Text.

As well as making mouse over text that makes more text of the same subject appear... I'm so lost with this...

thanks anyways iaskwhy!

I understand you have the fla's, but when you say pages, what do you mean? Pages html, or pages, flash movie style?

all my files are .EXE files... purposely ofcoures...
    I don't know how to combine all the files into one .EXE
    I have about 12 .EXE's I want to make as one.

ofcourse at anypoint I can make the HTML, Flash, etc... pages from the .fla

Your missing my point. If your talking flash, there are no "PAGES", OK? Flash has no PAGES, so your comment about making each page into an exe means nothing. You need to get on the same page with me here, or nobody can help you.

You have 12 fla files? What are they for? What were they, part of a complex flash website, 12 individual flash movies that had no connection whatever? What?

I'm asking, because everything you asked help on requires a different answer, depending on what the flash files are or were in the beginning.

You have 12 fla files? What are they for? What were they, part of a complex flash website, 12 individual flash movies that had no connection whatever? What?
    ok, lets try this again... sorry for all the confusion...
    Its a semi-complex Offline(.EXE) website, I'm trying to make something to hand out with pamplets...

The idea is, if the person isn't online capable they won't be able to view contents. So the project must be as projector .EXE's or even in the Mac format for Apple users...

I'm trying to make an offline website... so I made each webpage, into its own seperate .fla (seeing is I'm a noob and its the only way I could even make the project to the point it is at right now.)

I currently don't know how to compile everything into one project .EXE
    but as of now, I have a Disc that runs each "webpage" as an executable file.

Mainly, I just need to know how to make a Flash program where all my info will be compiled, and linked within itself... and burned to a CD, with only one Demo.EXE

Let me know if you still don't understand something, or if you want me to post the project .fla files. I may even have to e-mail or host them myself.
    Last edited by Elzieran; 02-09-2005 at 01:19 PM.

Now we're getting somewhere.

OK, I'm sure you've been to any number of all flash websites. Most of them use one main swf file, [for online]. That main swf loads all the other [pages] into itself as "external" movies. These are just swf movies that will load into the main movie, which in effect is the GUI.

So in the GUI, you have any background content that will always be there, you have the navigation that holds buttons to load all the other swf's, [pages] into the main GUI movie, and you have a space set aside that will hold those external swf's when they load. This usually means that the externals are slightly smaller than the main GUI movie is. To leave room for navigation and anything else you want in the main movie.

So loading these externals is simplicity itself. You can load each one into an empty movie clip with an instance name, using common loadMovie button code. But when you go to burn this to a CD, only the main GUI movie needs to be a exe. Everything else is burned to the CD as is. All those externals will be swf's on the CD.

Doing it this way, in the end, is going to be a whole lot easier and better than trying to merge all those fla libraries into a single movie. There is no easy way to do that.

So, I can have all the extra SWF files in a folder?
    And have the .EXE say all the links are foldername/SWFname.swf?

How do you set an area of the movie, to hold the other pages?
    Set the main as background or something?

Sorry, I'm trying to teach myself Flash, and failing miserably

Go look at my flashbax link in my footer. That's all flash. It starts with an intro, but the next page is an all flash site. What you see is the GUI, the general user interface, the home page so to speak. When you click a button, it loads swf files into the larger space in the right center of the movie. Those would correspond to the external swf's. What you see is my main movie as a swf, but this could be published as an exe, all of the site burned to a CD and it will run off the CD the exact same way it does online, only faster.

So you design the main movie to hold the other content when it loads. That's up to you how you position it. Nothing you see on my site is very hard to do, it uses simple code throughout.

Hmmm...

So how do I select the area on Main page to play the other pages in.

Some of the pages other then the main page, have links as well...
    but some of the links are also sepperate from the project that must be online to use, such as e-mail etc...

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    I need to figure out how to do mouse over effects something like this, but I'll still need to make it look graphically cooler, which is another story.
    Last edited by Elzieran; 02-11-2005 at 02:25 PM.

Maybe you can answer this one. I want to have an exe open in an e-mail and not just send it as an attachment. Is there a way to do this?