A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What happens before the first frame??

What happens before the first frame??

Hi,

I'm constructing a site and I'm having some troubles getting the thing running smoothly.

1.When testing the thing in the Debugger there is a big delay before the first frame is showed.
    2.There is a big delay between the onLoadComplete and onLoadInit of the external data.

I'm using only external data and I'm constructing my own objects (Object,registerClass etc.) in A.S. so the library is almost empty. There are no graphics that loaded before the first frame.

Does anyone know how to solve these delays?

thnx,

Daniel

sorry for the double posting

Banned
    All linked elements (used anywhere in the movie, not solely on the first few frames or not...), must download before the first frame is even displayed. That's why even a few lines of only some preloading code wouldn't "display" anything before all of those linked elements have downloaded. Check the "Show Streaming" feature when testing your movie, you'll see that it sticks on frame 0, untill all of them have downloaded...

Easiest workaround? Although there is at least another one, is to simply use a new seperate preloader only movie, to load your present movie, cleared of it's present preloader if you have one.

I'm sorry for the cross-posting, my first post and already making a mess out of it.

Thanx for the help, I think I will use a separate preloader-movie on startup.

Could you perhaps explain why ther is such a big delay between the onLoadComplete and onLoadInit, this happens while the program is already up and running. On a user intervention I make it look for other data and then load it.

What does the onLoadComplete actually mean if it doesn't mean the data is accessible or viewable?

grtz,

Daniel

Banned
    I'm sorry, but as a lot of us here, I'm still but on MX only and not on MX2004... And those are not available in MX only! So haven't used them or understood them!