A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Website Article / Content Manager

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar

Website Article / Content Manager

There are a lot of webmasters in here so I figured you would all be the perfect people to ask.

Are there any really good, cheap, article/content managers you can recommend for me.

I found this one that looks awesome but I don't want to fork out $300 if I can find a better one or one that is just as good for free.

http://www.interactivetools.com/prod...anager/?x00072

Simply, here's my situation. I started another site (not flipshark), and I change the design more often than I change my pants. I have loads of articles and news and stuff that I write and I hate having to change every page every time I update.

So I need a software program that allows me to change the header/footer/mainpage template to every page all at once. Like the one above.

Anyone use any of these programs? What are the best ones? Cheapest ones? Etc?

...isn't this exactly why CSS is so handy?

Put your header/footer/other formating into a style sheet and you can change the look and layout of your entire site by altering one document - for free.
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

Learning something like PHP and MySQL would go a long way towards that - the best content management systems are the ones that you build yourself, exactly designed for the site.

There is a basic freebie one I know of, I'll try and track it down.

But, if the content doesn't change all too often, then just use CSS like mentioned above. Keep everything as flexible as possible and you'll be surprised with what you can do.

some of my clients require a lot of design changes, e.g. furniture store wanting to have a different banner depending on the season (Summer, Winter, etc.)

I use SSI for header, footer, etc. The DW template is useful but crap for frequent maintenance so I prefer to use the template for layout "lock" and SSI for maintenance.

I recommend SSI with CSS.
    Last edited by tonytryout; 02-10-2005 at 06:30 PM.

Unfortunately my CSS is pretty limited. I could do it with PHP but really don't have the time. Plus it wouldn't be as good as the one listed. IE I don't know how to provide the feed to other sites if they want to list my articles, and stuff like that.

Sound like you need a template parser.
    All my site use html templates with simple placeholders for the content. Content come from CMS, design comes from CSS, markup from template.

Although I don't like pre-fab CMsystems, try Mambo Smarty is a great template parser.
    Vincent
    SWIS BV

Last edited by Markp.com on 07-23-2003 at 02:25 AM

giving mambo a try now.. will let everyone know how it works.

mambo is great but way too confusing, have fun trying to figure out what section is updating what section.
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

mambo is good
    typo3 is better but has a steep learning curve
    i ve heard drupal is good too
    and ez somthing is supposed to be good, but i dont like it because it is too slow.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.