A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mazes Mazes Revealed!! A must read

http://www.ultimatearcade.com/arcade/maze/

Hi,

Ultimate Arcade has a FREE FOR DOWNLOAD open source fully customizable maze .fla.

With this .fla you can have your own custom maze in literally 5 minutes. You can take the main Mazewall movie clip, duplicate it as many times as you would like, name it sequentially (ie, "m1", "m2", "m3"....), resize them, drage them anywhere at all and BOOM, you have a game! Just change one variable to match the number of walls you have on the screen and you are the proud owner of a cool maze game.

This .fla is just a baby, feel free to add to it, change the graphics, anything at all. We just ask that you let us see it when you are done for our own amusement

Thank you ,

jobe makar
    Ultimate Arcade
    http://www.ultimatearcade.com

Smile

Hi!

Two gentlemen called MadSci and FlashGuru have been trying to help out with maze-game-code lately and so this'll be a nice addition to their work...madSci posted a similar maze .fla earlier that had the same problem as yours with the ball sticking to the walls but he had a better way of doing it he said and I'm sure he'll put up the source-file when it's done...

I went to http://www.ultimatearcade.com and I have to say it kicks ass man!.....supa nice!....
    ...the 3D crates game is brilliant!!!...(didn't have time to play all the games:-()...just had to sign up for a membership...

I'm sure you,madSci and FlashGuru will have plenty to discuss once they see your stuff...

welcome to the board mate!...and give us more of that 3D-game-stuff in the future;-)

cheers!

Thanks!

Thank you for your comments Ior!

We have done plenty that cannot be listed on our site for copywrite infringment reasons (paid work), but I am glad you like what we have. We did not make every game on our site though.

Regarding the Maze:
    As I mentioned in my first post, this is a young .fla, it took me about 30 minutes to create.

You wanna see something awesome?! check out:
    http://www.ultimatearcade.com/laboratory/

this one took me half the night last night
    you can throw the ball, drag teh triangle dots....
    play with it, i love it!

thanks again
    jobe makar

Hey Jobe nice set man. I think I have seen most of those games here on board. the crates is awesome. Realy nice work. and I love the desigh of your site. I did not register for now. but we'll see later.ciao
    Mad_Sci

Thanks Mad_Sci

Mad_SCi

I appreciate your comments! We have worked hard on this site. We are getting tons of comments for improvements, which is to be expected.

FYI: The benefits of registering are: game tutorials, free source code for games (some of which can be found at Flashkit, some cannot), music/effects, articles, contests, and a possibility at being a contractor for us.

I just thought I would elaborate on that since it is not completely obvious when visiting (which we will change.)

We get game proposal requests on a weekly basis and expect to get them daily. Because of this we will need help to meet the demand. So to find out is good and who isnt we will hold some contests. Our first contest will start Monday and it will be maze related. Granted maze games are kindo of easy, but we need to start the contests somewhere.

Check out:
    http://www.commonmandesigns.com/baseball.html
    That is the sort of game we get hired to do. We built this for Texas Instruments a few months ago. This was a 75% done version. We cannot officially display it on Ultimate Arcade, but can refer to it in conversation

Talk to you later,

Jobe

The baseballgame is pretty impressive! A bit heavy on the processor though.
    A question about your triangle: Are you using the 'carthesian formula' for the collision-detection on top of the triangle?

PS. See one of my experiments with triangles here.

cjs

cjs,

Thank you for your comments! Your triangle thing is pretty cool I wonder how you got that masking to work? I wonder if you did the same thing as me for that.

My collision detection methods can be found by looking in the tutorials section of Ultimate Arcade.com I give a few simple methods for collision detection (as of right now I keep the juicy ones to myself) But you CAN find point-triangle collision detection .fla free for download. Something i made about 6 months ago.

In short here is what I do (using Cartesian coordinates as Flash will not easily support other coordinate sytems.):

use simple detection to find out if the ball is in a rectangele (image 2 triangles on top of eachother to make a rectangle). Then i simply compare the slop of the imaginary line that joins the ball to the top vertice with the slope of the actual line that connects the top and bottom right vertices. If the ball-point slop is > than the point-point slope, AND the rectangle detection is satisfied then the ball is colliding with the triangle.

And I just use simple physics eqs (with sine and cosine) for the collsion reaction. I have an MS in physics (and studied 1 yr towards Phd) so this collision detection and reaction stuff is second nature and FUN!!!

I am sure that Flash 5 will support more math functions and that will truly let us make some crazy things with Flash. I can't wait.

Talk to you later,

Jobe Makar

Games are like a magick trick right:

fun to watch,
    Pain to make,
    never tell the secret.

Can you handle a critic I just saw this:
    On your title page there is line with A.Einstein's citation
    how to hide your source. I think this is inapropriate for a site wich claims to make a tutorials especialy for games.

Mad_sci

Hopefully Ultimate Arcade will be the source of people's creativity!

I did not post that quote. One of the Ultimate Arcade team members is responsible for upkeep and this member has chosen that quote. Supposedly they will change daily.

Yeah, I can take a critique as long as it is objective and does not slam anyone personally. So feel free to critique

Jobe Makar

"...never tell the secret"
    I think this is an inapropriate passage on a board wich aims to educate in making games. <evil grin>

cjs

Im sorry if I offended someone. This was not my intent that is for shure. I will be very happy if you help me with the games section. Its not easy to tell the othres what to do providing that you are not shure is this the best way of doing it.
    Mad_sci
    smile

Senior Moderator
    Im helping you Mad-Sci!!!!!

Hey FG I thoght youre upset because of the button . yea you help and Jydnas too. We try to do what we can. Sometimes I think I post bunch of c..p you know. The last maze sux not counting the ilumny8 strategie.
    Mad_sci

Socratic Dialogue

Critique rebuttle
    Have you ever heard of Socratic Dialogue? It is a method used frequently among scientists when they are teaching (not necessarily in teh classroom).

I used to teach physics and astronomy at North Carolina State University. If a student were to ask:
    "how is an electron affected when it enters a magnetic field?"

I wouldn't say "Well it depends on the velocity of the electron and its orientation with respect to the magnetic field. Use F=-qVXB, set that equal to the F=ma, then you have ma=-qVXB, so then a=-(q/a)VXB..."

I would say "Well..., what forces are acting on the electron? What are the equations for these forces? Do these equations seem to apply? What quantities are conserved? Does the answer make sense?..."

In short, you can be an educator with out spoon feeding. Don't necessarily give away the answers, but give away the questions that spawn the right answers!

I strongly believe in Socratic Dialogue and the pursuit of knowledge through self discovery. This sounds very corny I know but if there are any other educators out there then you may know what I am talking about. If you answer the question your self then you will more likely remember it.

But on the flip side of things, you need boost sometimes too. Most of the cool stuff ive done with Flash has been from learning from other people's coding.

I enjoy friendly debates, thanks for the comments and critiques.

Jobe Makar

Senior Moderator
    Dont put yourself down man your doing a great job!!!!!Take a chill pill!!!

We solve everyones problems what more can we do????Do it for them naaaa....

Second that! This counts for you and Mad-sci too. You are all doing a great job.

cjs

I need a vacantion guys. And hey sorry one more time if I overshoot it. 4 of july is comming and Ill see what I can do with the Maze.
    Vacantioooooonnnnnnn.
    Mad_sci

For Jobe: you can get the source of my triangle right here. I think the method is different though.

cjs

thanks for the triangle!

cjs

thanks for the triangle sourse! pretty cool.

way different than way i do but then again, yours is more dynamic than mine. mine is always a right triangle.

the masking method i used is complety different too, no tweening, completely actionscripted.

thanks!

jobe

FlashGuru

you are the king of multiple punctuation!!!!!!!!!!!

do you know what i mean?????????????????

Jobe MakarJobe MakarJobe MakarJobe MakarJobe MakarJobe MakarJobe MakarJobe MakarJobe MakarJobe MakarJobe Makar