A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: load swf from an exe flash from hard disk

load swf from an exe flash from hard disk

Hi!

I've done a main movie flash (exe file) and I can only load the other swf files from this movie if all this files are on a CD. When I copy all this files to the hard disk of a computer the exe file doesn't load the swf files.

One solution is to convert the main file from exe to a swf and then the loading of the others swf works, but I don't want to change the exe file format (so the user hasn't have to install flash player).

Thanks in advance!

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Can you show me a couple of your loadMovie/loadMovieNum calls? I suspect it's just a minor pathing issue.

If you copy all your files to the root of your C: drive does that make it work? If so you can use this trick (below) to create a fake drive where you can do your testing.

First create a folder on your C: drive called "fakecd" then use the subst command like this...

subst z: c:\fakecd

Now you have a Z: drive that you can use to test CD things where you need to put stuff in the root of some drive to make it work like it will from a CD.

Your autorun.inf files won't work from the Z: drive, but now you have an empty drive to test from instead of cluttering up the root of your C: drive. To get rid of the Z: drive you can use this command.

subst z: /d

That doesn't delete any files it just tells Windows/DOS to forget about the Z: drive.

I`ve done the same as you
    rdeamo, a project for my school on a cd with a only flash structure. As Northcode noticed, you may have used absolute path to your files (ex: loadMovieNum("f:\myfile.swf", level) ). Change everything that you have like f:\myfile.swf to myfile.swf to a relative path. ex: loadMovieNum("f:\folder\myfile",level) becomes loadMovieNum("folder\myfile",level).
    You don`t need to have everything to be happy!

I mean another thing

Thanks both Northcode and sstefan_1 for your answers. It's a valuable information, but my problem I think is another. I'll try to explain:

I've done a CD which has a main sreen menu with two buttons, two options to run the interactive:

1- A flash exe file that runs directly from the CD without problems.

2- An installer soft that copy in the folder that choose the user all the files on the CD (In order to the interactive work faster). The problem is that the exe file cannot load the other swf files (meanwhile it is possible from the CD).

I've use this code: loadMovieNum("file.swf", 1);

Thanks again!

Have you tryed copying the files by yourself fom the cd to the hard disk and then try to run it from there? it may just be an installer problem.
    You don`t need to have everything to be happy!