dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: animationmentor.com

  1. #21
    Moderator whispers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CFA2h (respect the HEX)
    Posts
    12,755
    I like it...simple...enogh room to take everything in...but enough there to make it seem like a FULL FEATURED site.

    Always been a fan of your "clean, balanced & symentrical" style Nevil.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    403
    very nice site. Firefox might be treating the html tables differently causing the forced scaling. Maybe it adds some type of invisible border or cell padding to those tables. Import the swf without placing it into a table of any kind and see if that solves it. nice video integration.

  3. #23
    w w w . t h e o r y 7 . c o m nevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,216
    Originally posted by sense
    No creative freedom. What's that supposed to mean?
    The sitedesign aproach is exactly as I'd expected from you. Pixelbeveled boxed interface layout. Not saying that it's the best aproach for an animation school (creativity is missing) but you make it sound as if you'd aproached it completely different if they'd let you free (wich I doubt).
    I always known this style as 'your' style. Just curious what you'd had in mind and why you couldn't 'push it through' to the client.

    //just checking out your site theory7 and must say that's the craziest guestbook I've ever seen.
    by creative freedom I mean, with www.theory7.com for example as t was my own project I had the ceative freedm to design it exactly how I wanted it, use the colours I wanted, the fonts I wanted, sound fx I wanted and even the way things animated. With this client site I didn't have this, I'm not complaining as what the client wants is whats most important, but I can't help but want to design sites that I know you guys would love, my clients also being animators for pixar and ILM are also very creative people and wanted to have a lot of influence in the project, I have loved being involved in this project though, dont get me wrong.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    306
    yeah the blurred fonts must be just on macs, because I am having problems with all of my browsers (Firefox, Camino, Safari, and IE) on my mac.

    But nice site though. Good job!
    ------------------------
    www.jinchuu.com
    ------------------------

  5. #25
    Moderator whispers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CFA2h (respect the HEX)
    Posts
    12,755
    Originally posted by nerv_03
    yeah the blurred fonts must be just on macs, because I am having problems with all of my browsers (Firefox, Camino, Safari, and IE) on my mac.

    But nice site though. Good job!
    NOT true....FireFox on a PC...also same blurry fonts (with the site aligned to the right)

    Just an FYI for ya!..

    -whispers-

  6. #26
    Market Monkey
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    127
    First off, I have to congratulate you, nevil. A few months ago I read the Editors Note in Computer Graphics World about Animation Mentors and the concept behind making interactive online animation courses. I am most impressed that Bobby Beck, Carlos Baeba and Shawn Kelly put their trust in you to make their dream a reality. They are highly respected figures in the animation world, and this site has some great implications for the future of animation education.

    As far as the design goes, I think it was a great approach. Its simple, clean and looks as though it serves the purpose for which it was built.

    Just out of curiosity, how did you come across this project? Do you know a lot of people in the cg animation industry?

    Cheers!
    Nothing happens until someone sells something.

  7. #27
    w w w . t h e o r y 7 . c o m nevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,216
    Originally posted by akroll
    First off, I have to congratulate you, nevil. A few months ago I read the Editors Note in Computer Graphics World about Animation Mentors and the concept behind making interactive online animation courses. I am most impressed that Bobby Beck, Carlos Baeba and Shawn Kelly put their trust in you to make their dream a reality. They are highly respected figures in the animation world, and this site has some great implications for the future of animation education.

    As far as the design goes, I think it was a great approach. Its simple, clean and looks as though it serves the purpose for which it was built.

    Just out of curiosity, how did you come across this project? Do you know a lot of people in the cg animation industry?

    Cheers!
    Bobby, shawn and Carlos contacted me directly, I guess they muist have seen theory7 linkes somewhere on an award site or something.

    I discussed today preparing a demo login for the student area of th site, it wont happen for a couple of months but when it does it will give people the opportunity to see the other 80% of the site where the cool stuff happens.

  8. #28
    Moderator whispers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CFA2h (respect the HEX)
    Posts
    12,755
    this is probably NOT the best place to ask..

    but it seems to concentrate on "animation"...(when asked about modeling/rendering..etc)

    I was interested (but out of my price range to be honest)..but was kinda turned off about that statement. Knowing next to nothing about 3D or "animation"...I thought it would rely more on MAYA and how to model/render using that application.

    Im also curious as to how you would ask questions after watching the "lesson" video....seemed like you only got feedback from your "assignment(s)"

    Thanks

  9. #29
    w w w . t h e o r y 7 . c o m nevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,216
    Originally posted by whispers
    this is probably NOT the best place to ask..

    but it seems to concentrate on "animation"...(when asked about modeling/rendering..etc)

    I was interested (but out of my price range to be honest)..but was kinda turned off about that statement. Knowing next to nothing about 3D or "animation"...I thought it would rely more on MAYA and how to model/render using that application.

    Im also curious as to how you would ask questions after watching the "lesson" video....seemed like you only got feedback from your "assignment(s)"

    Thanks
    i you wanted to work in big games houses or films companies your role would be specific, lets say you where working on the film "finding nimo" and you whre an animator your job would be specifically to animate one or more characters, you wouldn't have to model the character, texture it, light it or even rig it for animation, you would only be doing the animation enabling you to concentrate purely on that aspect, this is what AM is all about.

    Any questions related to the actual video lectures can be done in several ways, firstly you could email your personal mentr and ask him/her, secondly you could bring the question up at the next scheduled video conferencing session with your mentor which all take place directly in flash in the website or via the forums, which again in in flash built into the website. One more way is you can ask your fellow students, the workspace are of the site allows you to browse other students, look at there work, even look at there video critiques from there mentors and contact them.

    If you have more detailed questions you should email bobby, calros and shawn at AM, there is also a detailed FAQ on the site and if you want to read a huge amount of stuff regarding AM you can visit this thread on CGTALK

    http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php...nimationmentor

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width

HTML5 Development Center