A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox is one AWESOME browser

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar

Firefox is one AWESOME browser

I just got firefox yesterday not because of all the hype but just because I thought I could use it to pull a big scam. Anyway, it didn't work for the scam, but it is now my new browser of choice, this thing is amazing.. Makes me want to delete IE.

Addicted To FruityLoops Studio FlashKid105's Avatar
    I converted over to Firefox because I was so sick of the many security holes that IE had. True, the patches Microsoft released fixed those holes but they also opened up new ones.

I was just use to all the spyware and IE vulnerabilities. I only download firefox so I could get paid for watching popup ads without actually having to watch the popup ads.

But now that I have it on my system, I am not gonna use IE ever again.. what's the point.

To show my true ignorance I thought firefox was like a text based browser or something, till of course I used it.

Good luck with deleting IE

Originally posted by yasunobu13
    Good luck with deleting IE
    I knwo I know, it's damn near impossible... but I'll hide away all the shortcut buttons.. I should keep it anyway just in case.

Addicted To FruityLoops Studio FlashKid105's Avatar
    Yes,

I'd definitely recommend you keep Internet Explorer as there's some things that won't work in Firefox. I use IE for this purpose as well as for testing web pages I create.

Originally posted by flipshark
    I am not gonna use IE ever again.. what's the point.
    things like online banking, outlook web access, and other IE-required things at work.

but for everyday use

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

but not for updates. turn-on auto-updates and/or get your updates via microsoft.fom/security.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by nordberg
    things like online banking, outlook web access, and other IE-required things at work.

but for everyday use
    Online banking worked fine with firefox.. don't tell me I just compromised my account or something??

Have no outlook.. but I'm sure I'll need IE for something

just as flashy the kid said, you will want to keep it around for testing at the very least...
    Last edited by nordberg; 02-24-2005 at 04:34 PM.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

I'll tell you what's impossible to delete.. freakin msn messenger 4.7 I upgraded to 7.0 and now every time I log onto windows they both try and sign on at the same time booting each other off and taking twice as much memory.. I have to go and kill little msn's process every time I log on.. Tried removing window's components, tried deleting the program files (wouldn't let me) tried modifying the .inf file, tried everything that google says..

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Originally posted by flashpenguin
    I'll tell you what's impossible to delete.. freakin msn messenger 4.7 I upgraded to 7.0 and now every time I log onto windows they both try and sign on at the same time booting each other off and taking twice as much memory.. I have to go and kill little msn's process every time I log on.. Tried removing window's components, tried deleting the program files (wouldn't let me) tried modifying the .inf file, tried everything that google says..
    Open 4.7 and get into the prefs and turn off Start when Windows Starts, and Auto Connect. Better yet get Trillian and turn them both off.......

probably cause all the junk u say about MS that it haunts you. It's pretty easy to get rid of Windows Messenger, so then all you will be running is MSN Messenger 7 BETA.. that's part of the problem right there, you don't have the program names correct. I'll do it for you and install SP2 the correct way, just send me your laptop.

Better yet get Trillian and turn them both off.......
    I'm really liking trillian.. the tabbed thing is really handy.. cooler sounds too.. Kinda miss the nudge from 7beta but not enough for me to stop using trillian.. Thanks..

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    I'm really liking trillian.. the tabbed thing is really handy.. cooler sounds too.. Kinda miss the nudge from 7beta but not enough for me to stop using trillian.. Thanks..
    I think LoyalRogue turned me on to it......I used to have 4 messengers running at once and now just Trillian......schweet proggy.

You have to remove the passport from the windows account, then you should be able to uninstall MSN without problems

Miranda IM is a great IM program, its less of a memory hog than Trillian too

Originally posted by Markp.com
    You have to remove the passport from the windows account, then you should be able to uninstall MSN without problems

Miranda IM is a great IM program, its less of a memory hog than Trillian too
    Thanks, that did the trick.. maybe I'll check out miranda too..

for the most part I use Firefox now but I still have IE around for a few things. As Nordberg said there are several sites that do not work with Firefox for me, such as online banking, it's very screwy with Outlook web access mail which I have to use for work. I also like some ie plugins like the Ebay toolbar, which you can't get for firefox yet.

But I like Firefox so far. It's just as fast as ie if not faster and no more popups and spyware (yet).

I have been using FireFox for over 7 months and I've been VERY satisfied with it.

One thing you may want to look into would be the "AdBlock" plugin. It's awesome! You can right click any image/iframe/flash document, then go to the Adblock context menu, and block the image and you can also block an entire online directory for ads.

For instance, I do not see any ads on Flashkit because my Adblock blocks any media from http://www.flashkit.com/RealMedia/ads/

Very, very handy
    My current rig: AMD Athlon64 3500+(Winchester Core) MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum - 1GB
    (2x512MB) Kingston HyperX DDR333 BH5 - ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro 128mb - SB Audigy 2
    WD 80GB 7200RPM 8MB - WD 250GB 7200RPM 8MB - MAX 120GB 7200RPM 8MB - Dell 2001FP 20.1 LCD

For instance, I do not see any ads on Flashkit
    shhh.. you'll make it look like we don't like the ads..

oh.. i like firefox.. yeah.. but you know what I don't like about it?

the connection was refused

I get it about 300 times a day.. I get it if the website I'm visiting is somewhat busy or If I'm downloading a lot of files.. IE will just find a way in but take longer to do it.. maybe Ihoss knows how to force firefox to do the same
    Last edited by flashpenguin; 02-25-2005 at 02:16 AM.