A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: import quicktime = no sound

import quicktime = no sound

Hi, I'm sure the answers in here somewhere but the forum seems to be having problems apart from being incredibly slow it times out on a search.

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I've tried several formats of encoding and although Flash import dialogue suggests audio can be imported playback is silent. What should I look for to make an imported quicktime movie play sound within Flash MX?

Thanks.
    bosie

Banned
    You don't get any error message?

Maybe it's a sound codec problem... If you can output a .wav sound file through QT (Pro) or another editing application, you might try to import it seperately from the video, lay it down on another layer of the movie clip in which your video alone was embedded, set it's Sync to stream, and add as many frames as needed to cover the video frames, then it might work...

thanks I'll give that a try.

No error message, it's an iMovie exported as quicktime with sound. I've tried MPEG-4 and QDesign Music II with various bit rates, no luck with Flash.
    bosie

I have sound now but it's not synched?

Extracting the sound from my quicktime movie (in wav or mp3) and placing on the timeline at the same insertion point as the video.
    bosie

Banned
    Did you set the sound's Sync to "stream" and have as many sound frames as the video on the timeline?

yes, at the beginning of the muxed movie is a text effect which does not have sound, I think when I extract sound that gap is not shown hence the break in synch. I guess I just need to keep playing around with export settings to find one Flash likes.
    bosie

Banned
    Don't insert the sound on the first frame of video then, push it down the timeline till it syncs Up!

I found a fix, extract audio and export as .aiff keeps everything in synch. I can't explain why but .wav and .mp3 do not synch. Thanks for the idea!
    bosie