A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Generator and SWFs

Generator and SWFs

I've been looking for a Generator type software since the end of Macromedia Generator that can create SWF's on the fly at the user end - e.g. users create their own versions of a game/e-card or whatever in the projector, then simply save it as a SWF on the press of a button. I found something called SWF Kit and SWF Generator and I mailed the company to ask if their software could accomplish this, and they claim that it can, but you have to buy both of their software which equates to round $400!

There's also another application called Swift Generator, which seems interesting and it's free (?), but I don't understand how I could use it with a third party software such as SWF Studio , Zinc or similar..Any idea how? I think they use a .dll with an Active X component...could that be manipulated to use with other third-party software or within a projector created by Flash itself?

Don't particularly want to spend loads of cash just to try it out...

Gabriel

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Swift-Generator is a utility that you can call from a command line to combine SWT files (Macromedia Generator templates) and Swift-Generator scripts into SWF files. I believe (and I could easily be wrong) that Flash 5 was the last version of Flash that allowed you to create SWT files. You can use SWF files with Swift-Generator, but the authors of the tool recommend using SWT files because they are easier to work with.

Even if you can get all of the data you need into a single SWF file (instead of an external text files) you're still going to have the problem we talked about in the other thread. Your Flash movie has to be flexible enough to adjust itself based on the available data - that's the big job that's going to be with you regardless of the tool you use to pull the text and SWF data together.

Thanks for your reply Northcode.

I've been working on this for a while and it certainly is tricky!

Keeping at this a while longer before I give up...

There's also Turbine which is available for ASP, ASP.NET and PHP. However these will not work from the command line, they require a web server and ASP, ASP.NET or PHP scripts.
    ASP/ASP.NET Turbine: http://www.blue-pacific.com/products/aspturbine
    PHP Turbine: http://www.blue-pacific.com/products/phpturbine