A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [DISC] Cute versus Non-Cute

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar

[DISC] Cute versus Non-Cute

I've been reading a very interesting book which I highly recommend called "Power Up, How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life".

Anyhow, I'm reading a chapter on Localzation of Japanese games to America and found it very interesting that in the old days, a lot of the "cute" Japanese games were altered to appeal to the American audience more by removing the cuteness in either the opening screen, the box art and instructions, or even altered all the sprite pics in the game itself, sometimes with HORRIBLE RESULTS! (See Mega Man 1 NES box art)

For example: Satoshi Tajiri's (Creator of Pokemon) first game is one of my favorite NES games. However, in Japan, it was called Quinty and had very cute opening screen and graphics to match the cute game. However, most US companies rejected it as too cute, until Hudson Soft US picked it up and released it as Mendel Palace. They replace the cute opening graphic with a "realistic" look graphic. Yet all the graphics in the game were still really cute.

My question: What do you think of cute character designs and cute games? Do you avoid a game if it looks "childish"? Do you think Nintendo is childish?

Play - Live - Work - Enjoy

I think in America "cute" has been associated with little girls and the majority of video game consumers have been male, so I see why companies with $ at stake have steered clear of "cute" in the past.

As far as cute character deisgn go, I feel that the art should compliment the game theme/ game play. A great example of "cute" is DD's and Squize's "Crazy Balls". I couldn't imagine the game with any other graphics.

I don't play games much (I just hooked up my Sega Genesis for some Street Fighter 2)but as long as the game is fun or atleast looks fun from screenshots, I'll give it a go, "cute" or not.

I think "cute" games are healthier than the uber realistic killing games, just my opinion.

my x booty it is that BIG
    in my opinion i dont like cute games at all, unless they are in the gamecube console.
    the closest i got to a cute game was "beautiful joe".
    and i totally i agree with the argument in the book that a lot of games are modify away from cuteness in order to appeal to an american audience. i guess is because we are seen as sabages lol lol. i remember once seen on G4 tv when they were talking about metal gear solid that since the game was gonna primarly aim at the american community they wanted to give solid snake a more american look-meaning a none cute look at all- lol lol.

BURN ALL CUTE GAMES DOWN BUUUUUUUUUURRRRRNNNNNNNN

cough cough
    eccept for kirby
    Project||[GAME]-on hold for now
    ------------------
    [Hero]-80%
    [Enemies]-1%
    [Weapons]-90%
    [Items]-0%
    [Levels]-10%

i dont avoid games that are cute, however i do prefer realistic graphics, but i dont think the graphics really matter all that much. My all time favourite game is ff7 and the graphics in that game are somewhere in between cute and realistic, i dont think i would have been drawn into the story and characters any more if the graphics were ultra realistic as i think its the story and development of characters that make a great game, my second favourite game is harvest moon on the gba and you dont get much cuter than that, i think that games graphics should be relevant to the content of the stroy and gameplay, for example i dont believe Pokemon would half as popular if the graphics were not cute as it would not have been able to be sold to youngsters if you had realistic creatures ripping each other to pieces, i suppose thats the main reason why Pokemon dont die and they just faint, its all about the audience, saying that Pokemon appeals to all ages because of the rpg like qualities and the challenging gameplay. Obviously cute graphics would not work in something like Gran Turismo 4 because it is about realism, not just in graphics but in the handling of cars and the race aspect, i suppose what i am saying is that cute graphics are ok to be used in a fantasy game or where the gameplay isnt about realism like in Mario games but in games like Pro Evolution Soccer 4 its all about the realsim of the game of football being portrayed on screen so therefore it needs to be realistic graphics to go with the gameplay and style of the game.

in short graphics should go hand in hand with the gameplay to create a non-contradictary gaming experience.

In answer to the Nintendo being cute question i think the answer is yes and no, they make their 'brand' of games in Mario and Zelda with have always been cute from their first releases on game and watch and the nes system so they are just being true to the fans of the games, plus having a realistic italian plumber jumping on goombas wouldnt really work would it? They do however release games like Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 which are ultra realistic and i dont care what anyone says RE on the gamecube is by far the best graphics to grace any platform ever (halo 2 sucks ), again they are staying true to the origins of those games, even on Nes Metroid was as realisitc as possible and neither game has never been portrayed as cute especially RE on the playstation which was very realistic and 'adult' for its time, they are producing graphics to go with the style of the gameplay and the themse of the stories.

just my thoughts on the subject.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

my x booty it is that BIG

ff7

Kakihara: i totally agree with you my favorite game is also ff7 i dont think there will ever be a an rpg game that will revolutionize the rpg industry the way that game did.
    Project||[GAME]-on hold for now
    ------------------
    [Hero]-80%
    [Enemies]-1%
    [Weapons]-90%
    [Items]-0%
    [Levels]-10%

better than chuck norris
    cute doesn't bother me...

sometimes makes me laugh...

or cry...

I agree with Kakihara. Every aspect of a game - the graphics, gameplay, setting, music, etc. should all go together.

Games with cute boxarts wouldn't deter me from buying it, but they don't attract my attention as much as more realistic games.

cute = cool in japan
    I LOVE IT

Leave them cute darn it!
    oro!?

FK's Resident ...... Resident flashMasterHand's Avatar
    (halo 2 sucks )
    Blasphemy!!!!
    Although, I have never played FF7, and it does look cool. But I will never give up on my precious Halo 2. My precioussssss ...
    Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN.

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Here's one of my favorite examples...

Look at this cover.. would you buy this game?

http://www.deeko.com/images/articles/Worstpic1.jpg

Discuss?

-pXw

He looks like he's dropping a deuce bomb