dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Linking to a scene from within a movie clip

Linking to a scene from within a movie clip

(Flash MX 2004 Professional) I don't understand why something that is seemingly so simple has become such a hassle. I've made buttons that animate on both the rollOver and rollOut states, so they have to be contained within their own movie clips. If I link to something within the same scene using:

on (release){
    _parent.gotoAndPlay(*);
    }

everything works beautifully. However, if I to link to another scene using the same command _parent.gotoAndPlay("Scene 2", *); or even just a simple gotoAndPlay("Scene 2", *); the button does nothing. How can I link to another scene while maintaining the rollOut state? If anyone could answer this it would be of GREAT help. Deadline's fast approaching .

Thank you very much for your time,

Carl

Banned
    You can't target scenes names from movie clips... In fact you should never again target a scene name in your Flash life.

Target and only target a labeled frame in the targeted scene, adding the targeted timeline to your path... In your case _parent, _root or _level0...

on(release){
    _level0.gotoAndplay("frame_label");
    }

See my post in this thread about targeting labeled frames and how to set them up...

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=584159 // labels

Now there's also some confusion in your question...
    If you've applied button handlers to the movie clip in which this button is inserted, note that those will override any other actions set on buttons within the clip.

THANK YOU! Great advice. Worked right away.

Thanks again,

Carl

Thanks for this tidbit of knowledge. I don't know why I don't just come here and search for your posts immediately when I have a problem, instead of trying to fix them on my own. It would have saved me about 3 hours of hair pulling.

Again,

Thanks for always taking the time to answer questions and share your knowledge. It's greatly appreciated!