A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Sound noob....What is the best way to get high quality VOICE RECORDING done?

Sound noob....What is the best way to get high quality VOICE RECORDING done?

I have a few questions

1)What is the best way to get quality voice recording? I used this microphone I got at CompUSA for $10 and use sound recorder on WinXP and the qualiuty is terrible.

I need something that is seemless and smooth with no buzzing sound (for animation)

2)What is good "layer" using sound editing software? I got Soundforge but that's only for dual track.

i want to mix sound effects and voices to make a animation soundtrack but I dont know of any......

thankyou so much. Free software/cheap is better but I AM willing to use money if it means better sound and layer-enable editing

ok, me... i connect my mixer
    I use my Yamaha MG/10 mixer
    and connect an rca connecter from the mixer to my Line in, and i use a Shure microphone.

Sounds Great, no hizzing, no buzzing, ofcourse you dont have to use a mixer theres other methods like:

1.) Connecting your mic to the Line IN, instead of Mic
    2.) Buy a good microphone

But a problem with my pc is that theres always an ANNOYING HISSING noise, i think its my soundcard, not to sure.. hoped that helped a bit

oh yeah, Sound recorder is not the best way to record voices, and it only gives you 60 seconds...

I use Sony Sound Forge 7.0, but if you dont want to pay on any software, and despite recording 60 seconds...

Open Sound Recorder
    File> Properties> Recording Formats> and then choose whats best suitable for your needs.

thanks

Thanks for the reply, I just got Sound Forge from one of my best friends who goes to sound school.

Unfortunetly all he does is MIDI music (I have no idea how he wants to get a job but that's none of my bussiness) so he doesnt do voices.

I dont know if your hissing iis a huge issue or not since I have hissing on mine now too and I dont htink that's too good.......

omglolkthxbye
    what do you guys mean with "hissing"?
    Who do you trust?
    Will they feed us the womb?
    Clone the fetal mirage

you know... hisssssssssssssssssssssssss during a recording (low level)
    Artificial Memories v0.9.2b
    "Preserving life's precious moments and making new ones"
    © 2009 MemoryCorp - A Walmart company

omglolkthxbye
    well that can have many issues... usually it's the (cheap) soundcard, microphone, furthermore cables and plugs and stuff
    Who do you trust?
    Clone the fetal mirage

hmmm

well I just use the onboard Mike input.

I used a Audio to > USB interface but for some reason instead of making a clean sound recording it just sorta makes it really really quiet so you cant hear the result.

Ok, so if the problem can be just a lot of issues I guess my question is

1)Is using a onboard soundcard ok?

2)If not, any reccomenations? (or alternative method to recording voices?)

3)Any Microphone you reccomend? Or atlernative recording method?

4)Im not quite familiar with the wiring issue. Cheap wires, that bad?

----------

Im hoping for low low cost but I AM willing to spend a few bucks if it means better quality. Its just that Im ignorant toward sound

omglolkthxbye
    onboard soundcard is a big no no i'd say.
    usually an audio/usb interface would be great. they also often provide phantom current for capacitor microphones, which are usually used for such recordings. additionally you'd need the right room with as less reverb and echo you can get (lot's of soft surfaces like carpets, curtains and things like that, non-parallel walls are also great)

some terms might be wrong here because i don't know all the english words and just literally translated them
    Who do you trust?
    Clone the fetal mirage

When recording make sure that your are getting a decent level to the recording device. Low level when turned up does sound hissy.

There are some pro soundcards on the market such as M Audio's Delta 1010. http://www.m-audio.com/ The Delta 1010 has two mic. preamps. Which means your can plug right into it.

A good mic. is most important along with a quiet non reverberrant location in which to deliver your lines. Learn what is called good mic technique.

Good luck.

hmm

wait a second, are you THEE actual Geoff Edwards, that does the voice for Zombie?

yes.

cool

hey that animation has great sound, this sound and voice recording issue has been killing me. I feel a bit better now

many thanks

just sayingf thanks