A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: browser with flash4 doesnt autodetect flash5

hi all....

it s my fist visit here ... so dont know if this as been asked before but i v got this problem as well on IE as on netscape...
    sometimes the browser that has flash4 plug-in installed does nt automaticaly detect flash 5 and therefore doesnt offer the visitor to go and download flash5 therefore displaying 5 with a 4 player...
    this is a problem when the 5 movies contain stuff that 4 doesnt support...it displays it but badly...

Its because you have to instruct the browser where, and what to look for.

for IE put this after <OBJECT:

classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
    codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0"

and for NS put this befor </EMBED>:

TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash">

Red face

hi man
    thanx a lot for your prompt answer but i ve got this on my page allready...generated automatically by publish setting...and dreamweaver....

if you want to try
    go to:

http://www.onetel.com.au/test/flash/dottextsimple4.html

you ll have to disable your flash5 plug in and re-install 4 wich might be a hassle...
    this is really wiered though i took all my plug ins off put F4 back on and went around to flash5 sites and the same thing happened....

Hack
    interesting, I had the same problem with Netscape but not with IE.

how did you get around it????

do I smell a bug ????

Hack
    I had to do a redirect page -- blank page with a tiny flash file whose sole actions were:

function redirect() {
    getUrl ("flashenabledpage.html");
    }
    redirect();

Only Flash 5 has function capabilites, so anything older than that wouldn't be able to execute the commands and thus would just remain on that blank page.

Then in my HTML header I put this:

<*SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"><!--
    function redirect () {
    if (navigator.appName == "Netscape") {
    setTimeout("go_now()",5000);
    }
    }
    function go_now () {
    top.location.href = 'noflashpage.html';
    }
    //--></SCRIPT>

And in the Body tag:

<*BODY bgcolor = "#ffffff" onLoad = "redirect ()">

(I put the asterisks in just so this bulletin board won't parse the HTML code!!)

The page waits 5 seconds, and (if the blank page is still sitting there, it automatically goes to noflashpage.html -- which of course prompts them to go get the Flash 5 player.

em

ok...

that s cool but if you use a swf on this redirect page...does nt it mean that the user must have a flash player allready installed???

if he s got no flash plugin whatsoever and hits that page what will it do?

and what version was your small swf in?? - 4?

One more thing i figure...this method would be good for a site that contains one big swf which is the site itself ... but in my case i m putting flash5 throughout an huge html site as animations and advertising...people can come in the site throught "thousands" of external links...this would mean i d have to put that 'detecter' swf before each swf no?

--i got this .js from

http://www.moock.org/webdesign/flash...tion/moockfpi/

it seems to work fine but it s the same problem...must put it on each page...

anyway, thanks a lot for your time

mani

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

you use a swf on the redirect page that has a function that is only supported by the version of flash you want people to have:
    If the fuction is supported by flash 5
    (as in erlenmeyer 71's function call) then even if the person has the flash 4 plugin, the function won't be called(it's compatible with flash 5 only)
    and the java will take them to a page with the download option(note: take the pluginspage info out of the embed)
    If you have people coming in from all over the place, are they all landing at index.html ?
    or do they go to different pages?
    if they go to various parts of your site, then yes you will need sniffers everywhere, best bet is to just make all your swf's flash 4 compatible.
    8)

i get it...

well i guess that ll have to do... people come from all over the place...they dont land on the same page...so i ll scatter this script on each page that contains flash5...

but i still reckon it s weird that on Netscape with F4 plugin, does nt pick it up the difference and just displays it badly...

thanx to all you....

see ya soon