dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: My website thus far

My website thus far

I have been told by some people in the state of Texas.............. Not going to voice my opinion of this state as I have already done so in the Lounge... Anyways, people say it looks like crap... I don't understand whats so crapy about it? It only took me 1 month really. I think it looks okay... I dunno... Give me your honest opinion guys....

www.accessdream.com

I'm from Texas, and I don't hate it. Here's an honest critique. First, the bad. The file size is too large for 56K connections. Of course, if your target audience is not Dial-Up users then don't worry about it. Second, I don't really like the big stars; they seem out of place in my opinion. Thirdly, when you click one of your menu button options, such as contact, the menu disappears. I don't really think that is necessary. Just keep the navigation consistent. Also, your menu buttons might benefit from not being so bolded, it's a small thing though. You could add a contact form instead of an email link, it looks more professional that way. One last thing, you could use pixel fonts instead of Arial and Times(they look sharper).

Now for the good. I like the color scheme of blue on orange, and the interface is solid. Navigation, is easy for me, and the music track sounds nice. Good luck with the BFA, but try not to take out fifty thousand dollars in student loans to pay for the education. I know the Art Institute states that a lot of their students obtain jobs in the industry after graduation, but they don't. The one I went to(AIC) said 95%, but that's not exactly how it works. I see too many of my fellow young people broke and thirty thousand dollars in debt these days. Just be careful.

JR
    jrtmedia.com

I see nothing wrong with this site except for the way the menu works which was explained by bluefern. As for school, the ones who are good are the ones that end up with the best jobs. So work hard. I went to a university and got a degree in engineering and never took the time in an art class except for cad. And I spent 8 years paying off the loan, (about 30,000 dollars not including intrest). And I ended up working as an electronic technician.

Good Luck
    Last edited by tmoore935; 03-09-2005 at 04:36 PM.
    Any programming language is at its best before it is implemented and used.

Designs for food ZeroInspiration's Avatar
    First I would probably match the color of the splash screen up to the graphic or create some type of border to make a distinction between the graphic and the background, the colors are so close that it just creates this anoying tangent in the image. For some reason its now the trend to go insanly small, while I would not recomend this I would recomend shrinking the layout over all it looks noobish being so large in all areas given the small amount of eye candy and content that are present. This you will hear from many people and Im going to just with the croud here since they look so good in any medium, USE PIXEL FONTS! But keep in mind that they look best when the font point value is in increments of three I think it is... But please dont quote me on that.

I like to an extent how all the content comes onto the screen but I think you could be more creative with the entence of the buttons perhaps a bounce at the end or what evers clever, it is your piece after all you think it up. The roll over effects on the buttons are tastful and not over done which I commend you for. The glint that runs over the bars constantly is tacky and should be done away with, its an over done effect and is all to often used in the wrong situation. The window with the two stars is way too empty for how large it is why not shrink the screen a bit and add some slick vector curves that flow into place behind the stars. The color is nice I like it, blue and orange are complementary after all.

Really its not a bad site it lacks a good polish but its a good start.
    When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

Well the intro stil needs work. I sort of liked the menu though... Maybe I could modify it? Also, do you think the colors such as the orange need to be darker? Thanks for the feedback guys!

The orange looks fine to me but feel free to experiment.