A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Opening other applications and websites from flash file,

Opening other applications and websites from flash file,

Hi

Iam wanting to be able to launch an Install.exe file, a .pdf file and a URL from buttons inside my flash projector file. Currenly the projector file maximises to full screen so I need the files to launch in browsers ontop of the running flash movie.

Im guessing I need to use fscomands but not sure?????

please help as there is propably a straight forward answer and its driving me nuts!!!!!

Cheers

Jolly Chap

Hi
    On your button....
    code:
    on (press) {
    getURL("http://www.yourname.com", "blank");
    }

thanks but what about the pdf, and .exe file???

omglolkthxbye
    if you're running your flash in a browser you can't launch other applications, you need to use the standalone player.

additionally since flash mx, all your executables have to be in a folder with the name "fscommand" in the directory where your swf lies. then you can use fscommand("exec", "install.exe"). additionally you can't use parameters here, so if you want to open a pdf the command would be "start yourpdf.pdf". either you write that into a .bat file and launch that via fscommand or you use some adittional software like swfkit or zinc

edit: just recognised you're allready using the projector, you can't use the getURL command here afaik, but you could use the "start http://yoururl" command instead
    Last edited by Ubersquid; 03-11-2005 at 06:08 AM.