A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Photoshop problem

Photoshop problem

I posted this in the other forum for photo tips, but I think it was the wrong one... I have this problem in Photoshop that I HAVE NEVER been able to fix. When you FEATHER a selection and fill it with the paint bucket... Then you decide you want that same selection unfeathered you can't do it. You can ctrl-click that layer and then fill it on another layer, but it's still feathering!!! LOL So I guess I have to re-trace the whole friggin thing... YAY 3 hours down the drain... Sheesh I guess I should have made a selection layer unfeathered...... eh............... some days..... some days.........

Select > Save Selection.

or

Layer Mask it instead of selection.

I've already sent you this via PM:
    • Go into Photoshop CS, via the tool palette, select the marquee tool, and make sure that you don't have featuring turned on. Via the top part, the tool information bar across the top, you should see feather, and it should be set to 0px.

Hope that helps

Now, what you're talking about could be avoided, listen to Asun2art.

After you create a selection, immediately go into Channels, and along the bottom of the palette, click the button that says "Save Selection as Channel"... name that bad boy something you'd not forget, and when you apply it as a layer mask, you can then blur, manipulate, change, or paint on it as you see fit. If you mess up, and the history isn't far-reaching enough, then I usually discard that layer mask, go back into Channels, re-select the aforementioned Channel that's based off of that selection, and then start again.

btw, definitely wrong forum. this is better suited for Design & Graphics.
    Last edited by gerbick; 03-14-2005 at 05:48 PM.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by gerbick
    btw, definitely wrong forum. this is better suited for Design & Graphics.
    Moved.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

right there in the select menu you have save and load selection..

Sorry guys I didn't know which forum. Thanks for moving me... I have feathering turned off, but still nothing.

One thing you can try is to fill a layer with white then fill your feathered selection with black. Then hit Ctrl+L to bring up the Levels dialogue and play with the outer sliders to adjust the amount of black and white intensity. You should be able to sharpen up the image then re-select the black part and save the selection.

If the Magic Wand doesn't do the trick you can go to Select>Color Range and select it that way. The 'Fuzziness' slider will allow you to make adjustments to the selection area.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Thanks Rush... I finally figured it out. Yeah I screwed up, but doing the mask with the threshold adjustment works SOMEWHAT... Still didn't get the result I wanted, but close enough. Thanks for all the helpful responses.

bpj the best way ive used is like you save your selection as an alpha channel and then use a threshhold. you can then edit it after to get your crisp corners back.

I know how to save it as a selection and all... You guys are all way off. I forgot to save it as such and made the selection a feather... So now when I reselect it and try to fill the selection on another layer it's still feathered. Oh well... I already figured it out. Thanks for the help.