A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: please help...

...i am trying to open a *.pdf file in flash. is there any way i can do that?

In Flash?

You can't using the native Flash player. However you could create a container using VB, or any other program that supports ActiveX controls including a web page, and drop the Flash and Acrobat ActiveX controls on it.

Cheers!
    -todd

If this is for online viewing simply place the address of the .pdf in the GetURL command if the person has the Adobe Plugin then the files will come up in there browser..

If this is a external application made to run on a hard drive or cdrom then you will need a 3rd party tool.. (that or you can do custom programming.. as dangercorp mentioned)

My freeware program is available here..
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...threadid=20493

Other commercial 3rd party tools that are available are AfSaver and JTOOLS..

the answer to your problems

There's a tutorial showing how to do this at Flashgeek.com

tutorials

You know...those tutorials at Flashgeek are pretty well done. Im glasd someones taken the time to make the powerpoint ActiveX stuff available.

But when I read the original post I was under the impression that the issue was opening a .pdf file "inside" a stand alone flash projecter exe. Now I didn't see any tutorial on accomplishing that at Flashgeek.

But why not?, It lookls like they want as far as creating a tutorial for writing a VB app launcer. They should just take it a few steps more and show how to control the ActiveX controls embedded in a VB container. Similar to the non-documented MM sample in F5. Then they could have covered the Acrobat control.

That might be a nice resourse actually, a Flash ActiveX contol tutorial library covering all the relevant ActiveX controls someone might use with Flash in a custom container..

I was looking at trying to control a Flash project using the MS Tree Control myself, and dang I wish someone would have written a tutorial on that( nudge nudge wink wink )

overall that's a nice site.

Clean, cear and concise.

-todd