A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: music industry job

San Francisco, Sucka Free City, CA. San Francisco is not an unusual name. Guess how many SF's are in Latin America?

music industry job

Hows it going everyone,

I finally got a part-time job with an independent record label, and I will start in a few weeks. They really liked my HTML and Flash work, so they took me on as an assistant Web Interface Editor. I've been to the studio in SF, and they look like they've had some major funding. Alternative/hip hop groups are signed with them so they look like they're ready to make it big.

OK, that's fine and all but I'm worried about the roles and responsibilities for this type of job. They want ALOT of things put on their website, mainly merchandise that they could sell online or to The Giant Peach. http://www.thegiantpeach.com/_cart2.0/customer/home.php
    On top of that, they're interested in web streaming video, which I know can be accomplished with Flash. I see myself learning alot of new technologies and coding in the month ahead..
    Not to mention revising the brand of the company, graphic design for the artists, e.t.c.

Have any of you guys or gals worked with a music company before? Not just creating a Flash animation for their artist, but actually managing their entire web prescense? What are some things to look out for? What are some of the ways to be on top of things when an album is scheduled to be released? I welcome the challenge that's set before me, but I'm interested in learning about what I'm getting into. Other than that, getting pre-released CDs and going to parties ain't bad for future incentives..

Thanks alot!

I'm in the UK and do a lot of webwork for record companies here. I can't really trade secrets, and if you have a good think there are none... All you really have to do if you're not sure about something is to look at what other labels do... Join their mailinglists and check their sites to see how they promote events and releases. We all learn from each other by observation. Always think from the point of view of the customer - what do they want to know/see/hear? Most things usually, and the good news is that music customers like to be entertained as well as informed, so don't be too scared of 'wasting' their time with animations and artistry. There is no blueprint here, just a lot of scope for creativity, so count yourself lucky! You could be designing 'grey' sites for steel alloy bolt manufacturers... eeek!