dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Major SOS

Major SOS

I've switch to the new Apple Mini. Very Nice. My first MAC. Not my first to work with however.

1.25 GHZ
    512 MB Ram
    etc...with the fixins

I'm not here to discuss if PCs are better than MACs just want some help on a major issue. I don't have problems opening my files from my PCs. It seems like the files were ported over to the Mac quite nicely. However I'm having performance issues when opening those files in both Safari and IE 5.2.3. When opening other flash sites the browsers do their thing with excellent results. However when I opening my local htm files for preview the flash swf plays REALLY SLOW. I mean pathetic. But yet when I play the swf file on the stand alone flash player it works great.

WHY can I open other flash sites on Safari and IE and they work awesome but my local html file and when uploaded to the web it doesn't perform well and its jerky.

Any body have a suggestions?

If you are able to see other flash sites smoothly on your mac but yours play slow it might sound like a stupid question but what fps are your movies?
    Freebies:
    Sound Loops | Sound Effects | Images | Code Pigs | 6ood coff33

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

You should probably check which version of the flash player you have installed as a plugin.
    Sam

Well I did a little research on the boards on recommended speeds by other board members. Initially I wanted a more realistic animation so I went for 33 fps. Usually movies run at 24 and DV runs at 29-30 fps but 33 was recommended for cross platform performance on mac and pc.

I've upgraded the version of Flash MX Pro to 7.2 and I downloaded the flash plugin v7 from Macromedia. The install seemed straight forward. It was all automated. However, the plugin install said that it would install flash in all broswers. But when I drag an swf into IE 5.2.3 it asks me where to find the plugin. In Safari, the dragged swf plays but jittery.

I'm going to do some testing. I'll try creating something from scratch on the Mac FMX Pro then see if I'm having the same problems on the browsers as the ported files from the pc

In Safari if you choose Installed Plug-ins from the Help menu you can see which version of the Flash player Safari is using.

In IE, choose About Internet Explorer from the Internet Explorer menu and then click the Support button, there you can see which Flash Plugin IE is using.

It's worth checking as there are a couple of places that plugins can be installed; /Library/Internet Plug-ins and ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins
    Sam

Checked both Safari and IE - the newest plugins installed. Did some testing and created a new project from scratch on OS X - it works.

However its weird that the ported files don't work?

Yet - still having the same problems with IE asking for a plugin when the newest plugin is listed in the support info.