dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Linking a Word Document to Flash

Linking a Word Document to Flash

I would like to have a button in my Flash MX Presentation that links to an outside word or pdf document, and would open in a new window. Currently this presentation is not designed to go on the web, and is just a stand alone presentation. The only information I have been able to find so far is this really complicated process involving Director...

Thanks!

putting this code on the instance of the button doesn't work?

on(press) {
    getURL("FileName.doc");
    }

sockpuppet
    Use fscommand and "exec" with a bat file, and the doc or pdf in a fscommand subfolder: http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/kn...=tn_14280#Exec

A bat file is simple text file with bat extension, and you type:

start your.pdf

That is all. Put the bat and your.pdf in the fscommand subfolder.

But he's not trying to launch just the application. He is trying to open a document. getURL will get the doc and automatically open it in it's respective application.

So he doesn't need to do all that. A simple getURL command will work just fine.

sockpuppet
    Quote: Currently this presentation is not designed to go on the web, and is just a stand alone presentation.

getURL will open the file in browser window not in the application. Maybe not what he want?

getURL will open the file in browser window not in the application

Completely not true.

Try it. If you call a word doc, it will open it in MS Word.

sockpuppet
    Then he can use what you suggest.

Beyond the Sea
    Not to get into a fight, iguanagirl, but you are incorrect. If the user doesn't have a browser open, he or she will have to wait for the browser to open, then the file to pop up and then for the application to open which, to me, ruins the experience. Also, what if the user has automatic opening disabled for their browser? The browser would pop up, but the file would fail to open.

If you have a standalone projector from which you simply want to launch a file in its native application, its best to do as sharedobject suggests.

Better yet, use one of the many third-party apps that will give your projectors more power when working with the operating system:
    http://www.northcode.com/
    http://www.screentime.com/software/mprojector/
    http://www.multidmedia.com/

They're not all cross-platform, but very solid and can do some pretty amazing things...
    The Coolest Website EVER!
    Do you live in Kansas City? Come join us at KCWebCore

Well, all I know is that I tested it and it worked.

here is exactly what i did:

1. I created a word doc.
    2. I created a flash movie with a button that on press, opens the word doc.
    3. I published the flash movie as a windows projector file.
    4. I closed ALL my browser windows.
    5. I opened the flash projector file, clicked on the button & the word doc opened. And ONLY the word doc opened.

Perhaps I am not understanding exactly what he wants to do. But from the way I understand what he wants to do, my suggestion will work.

Beyond the Sea
    that's interesting!

To be honest, I have never actually created a projector with a machine that runs Windows XP and I still refuse to buy Flash MX 2004...so...what operating system are you on? Are you using MX or MX2004 to create your projector? Have you tried it on Windows 2000 and 98 with that same projector?

Maybe they fixed it in MX2004 or maybe winXP handles getURL differently...hmm...I'll have to ask around and see if someone can let me test around here...

Flash MX Win XP. but I don't think that makes a difference as it is very basic actions scripting that I used, and projector files have been around since I believe at least Flash version 4.0. Try what I did on your computer and see if it works.

I never post a solution unless I test it first. So at the very least, I know that it works with my computer configuration.

Beyond the Sea
    Yeah, that's why I say that. I mean, that's why the third party apps were created in the first place because even up to MX, the standard flash projectors were pretty underpowered and on Windows 98, and I believe earlier versions of win2K, they always opened a browser window before opening a document...

I will have to check on some of the machines at work when I get a chance...

cheers!