A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Office

American Office

The Office, or the American version, premiers tonight in the US.

Think it'll be any good?

steve carrel is a pretty funny guy, i think he can pull it off
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I'll watch Carrel do comedy, he's great at it. I'm sure fans of the original will hate it, but it'll catch on anyway.

Carrel is in it? NICE!
    what time and channel is it on?

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

www.myspace.com/theoffice

this is the first episode online, I think it's legally up there, let me know if it's not

It looks better than I thought it would but it's still nothing like the original, the characters are just so far from having the nuance and chemistry that the BBC version had from the first minute. The guy that 'replaces' Gareth is particularly dull compared to the original.

Still, I think people who haven't seen the original in America, and I'm sure that's 80 or 90% of viewers, might enjoy it.

I still don't know why they feel like this is a good idea though, America already had the perfect office life setup with the movie "office space", if I was head of Fox (notorious for stealing ideas) I'd be building a sitcom based around that scenario instead, I think it would connect with a lot more americans.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Has there ever been an American take on a Brit comedy that matched up to the original?

I think not.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Steve Carell is frickin' great, he'll definitely pull this off. But it'll be different than Ricky Gervais's character.

That being said, I've only seen season 1 of the BBC Office, and I thought it was brilliant. I'd probably like the American one, but I'll be constantly comparing it to the original, so that should pretty much spoil it for me.

Still, I'm willing to bet it's on-par. I'll watch it.

I don't get why they didn't just air the BBC one, there's few if any gags that a US audience wouldn't get.

Maybe the giant inflatable penis wouldn't have made it past the censors.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Originally posted by nordberg
    what time and channel is it on?
    NBC, 9:30pm EST
    I'll be watching.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

Originally posted by PAlexC
    That being said, I've only seen season 1 of the BBC Office, and I thought it was brilliant...
    It usually take 3 or 4 seasons before US sitcoms resort to a giant inflatable penis.

Originally posted by PAlexC
    Pheonix Nights?
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Listening to a review on NPR now. One of the writers is a writer for King of the Hill. They're saying the boss, instead of being deep down a good guy you can feel sorry for in the end, is just constantly loud and obnoxious.

Hmm...
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

woah, was just watching the video from aversion's link. completely agree about the lack of subtlety and nuance that made the office work so well but I wonder if that is mainly down to how well the actors gelled in the original and unfair for the US guys to try to recreate.

What does seem to have been completely misjudged is the the david brent actor, it's totally over played, his voice gets really grating after a few mins and seems more like a stand-up pretending to be a crap office manager rather than the desperate and painfully cringe-worthy Ricky Gervais, makes it worse when he tries to mug the same expressions during the 'embarrasing' pauses and looks more like bad Jon Culshaw impression.

I guess it was inevitable that the US would try to remake it after the british version was a sorta of cult hit and won some kind of award over there but perhaps they should have taken it a bit further and not tried to copy the same format so closely.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Wow, that will be the absolute LAST time I listen to you guys regarding TV entertainment. I saw it on last night as I was checking my guide and said to myself, I said "Self, let's check this out. Everyone was talking about it."

I have just one word:

THATWASTHEMOSTBORINGTHINGIHAVEEVERWATCHEDINMYFREAK INLIFE!!!

I only watched the first 10-15 minutes.....couldn't handle any more than that.

and I like English humour

I watched it and liked it...Steve Correll was hilarious. it could have been better, but have you watched teh first episodes of shows like: Seinfeld, Simpsons, Cheers, Frasier, etc....they weren't that great, but look where they went after the first show (im not saying OFfice is of these shows caliber, just making a point).

I thought Carell's manager was too over the top, he was a cartoon character.

The guy playing Jim was way too hip.

Pam was too mousey and timid.

Gareth's replacement was too much of a nerdy jerk, an ourtight bully.

The black dude was funny.

Why would they premier a Tuesday night show on a Thursday?

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I was curious to hear some opinions on the show more than two years later.

I was late to the party, but have since seen every episode, and I can say this is probably my second favorite show of all-time, just behind Seinfeld.

Any other fans?

You tricked me!

About the show- I have some friends who are obsessed but I have yet to watch a full episode. I am on a Scrubs kick right now.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I really like it. Their ability to make the show about the office(s) and not hang so desperately on the characters keeps the show fresh. Jim and Pam's relationship is interesting yet always nicely woven as back story. There's a growing pack of psychopaths and the casting is excellent.

You need a slight morbid fascination with social train wrecks to enjoy the show, my boss says he's been uncomfortable enough to change channels.

@wannabe - Heh, been watching comedy central's syndication myself. Loses some comedy in the later seasons but it has made me howl with laughter at times. Dr. Cox is like looking into a mirror.
    Last edited by jAQUAN; 06-12-2007 at 04:35 PM.

I was on a Scrubs kick for a time also, but I've seen every episode multiple times to the point I can quote every line verbatim.

It doesn't hold up as well on multiple viewings as, say, Seinfeld. I'll still watch, though.