A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Some news that could use feedback ...

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar

Some news that could use feedback ...

Hey

I successfully torn yself out of World of Warcraft, and now, i'm back on tracks ...

Been working on the second World of Sylvaniah, the Ruined town ...

Been gathering some architectural elements, trying to find ways to combine them, to create a "barroccoconeogothico" style, a la Castlevania

Some quick roughs can be seen here :

Then, i started working on the pixels themselves ( arf ...loooooong )

Here is the result, some tiles do not repeat themselves very well, i am aware of that :

I was wondering if you were thinking the style was "too croweded" for a platformer ? Castlevania seems to successfully create that dense visual impression, but i wonder if my own version isn't a tad "too much" ???

Feedback welcome

Two words: I frikin love it!

One thing, it might be a tad to dark which will make it more of a horror game. You might want to enlighten things a bit more

SaphuA

Official Shoe Shiner thehumanchimp's Avatar
    Saphua, thats four words ()

Like Saphua said, very cool indeed. I don't think its too crowded.

Carry on with the good work!
    Message on a gravestone: I finished before you in the human race.

Using: Flash MX

It looks great as usual!

I don't think it too detailed, as long as it's clear which elements the player can walk on and which are just decoration. I know one criticism of the first levels was that this was not immediately obvious in some places.

We should probably use some visual cues to make this clearer. For instance, all objects that are just decoration could be slightly darker in tone than the "real" objects. Or, objects you can walk on have a slightly brighter upper edge. This is just from the top of my head.

Keep up the great work!

That is amazing!! It's really beautiful, not too crowded at all.
    One thing is maybe just lighten it up just a tiny bit, other than that its great.

You've got me all excited again now.

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Wowah, thats soo cool Its not crowded, but if i hadnt seen that screenshot, i wouldnt have realised you could walk on that ledge. Looks amazing though.

Ali

superb lux. i agree. i really don't think you can have too much detail, especially when it's presented in such a glorious way!
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Unbelievably nice! Just awesome work!
    Its not too detailed it just rocks!
    I am looking forward to see the finished product.

greets
    I do stuff that does stuff...

J-Force

Incredible. The detail level is on par with the rest of the game. Full steam ahead!

normally i think really high quality flash games can be about snes quality right now (maybe better with f8 but who knows ),in graphics and gameplay,well those graphics you show put snes games to a shame =D
    keep it up =)
    personally i like it when fg objects are as detailed as possible and bg objects (not influencing gameplay) are not that crowded,so your image is just excellent in that terms.
    also those flying burning things look awesome,way better than the other enemies i´ve seen up to now in your game =)
    keep it up =)

Thanks for the feedback

Yes, i will certainly try to come up with a solution, so that the walkable areas / plateforms become more obvious, i am aware it was already a problem in the forest

Unfortunately, apart the Hero, the sprites shown here are temporary : they are sprites from various other games ... they are here to "test" how the level work with enemies : that's why they are better looking than my own sprites ...but mine will try really hard to be similar : i really want the game to look the best i can possibly do

I will update this thread soon with new images ...

Originally posted by luxregina
    Thanks for the feedback

Yes, i will certainly try to come up with a solution, so that the walkable areas / plateforms become more obvious, i am aware it was already a problem in the forest
    yeah,seems to work better with this bg =)

Unfortunately, apart the Hero, the sprites shown here are temporary : they are sprites from various other games ... they are here to "test" how the level work with enemies : that's why they are better looking than my own sprites ...but mine will try really hard to be similar : i really want the game to look the best i can possibly do
    woops,sorry but with the enemies i think its not so much that yours looked so much worse,i more had the feeling these were way cooler because i imagined them in action (which would be sorta flying around,flying close to the player and putting him on fire or shooting fireballs or things like that),so really cool actions.
    in the first level the bush/plant enemies were those i really disliked,which wasn´t mainly because of their look but instead their way of attacking (almost not noticable when you didn´t touch them and then suddenly grab you for a long time which gets annoying after a few times).so i think if your enemy moves are as cool as the rest of your art and engine,then its all great anyway =)

I will update this thread soon with new images ...
    great,looking forward to the next eye candy session

he he > got it

Yeah, the enemies will be wayyyyy cooler : i have planned what should be some real fun tricks ... and yes, the "fiery Gargoyles" will indeed act the way you imagined : they will just look a tad different ...

nice

Some sexy graphics their lux. Nice work.