A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to loop a sliding graphic?

How to loop a sliding graphic?

I need to have a looping graphic that slides right to left across my screen. It's basically a large line of text and will continuously play in the background of a presentation.

I thought there was a way to do it with actionscript, and perhaps a dupeMovieClip function?

Any sort of link or tutorial would be awesome

Thanks in advance
    mikeparker

Left-Handed Flash User mickbrit55's Avatar
    Hiya

The easiest way would be to make a movie clip of the text sliding across the screen. Put it on the main timeline where you want it to appear and make it persist throughout the movie.

Mike.

thanks for the reply mickbrit55
    I thought of doing it that way earlier, but I need to have it constantly on the screen with no breaks in the sliding. Like at the end of the sentence, you can already see the beginning of the sentence right behind it...

I kind of have it figured out after pirating some acionscript from a tutorial...

Now I have to make it work with images...not just text.

Thanks again
    mikeparker

The best way to do a looping background is to make a movie clip. Inside of the movie clip, you need to make the text into a gfx symbol, or movie symbol(whatever, depending on your intention). Copy the symbol at least twice until the text or miage is tocuhing and covering the entire canvas. After, put on a motion tween . From front to end, the trick here is to make the loop seemless. Afterwards, put on an actionscript on the timeline of the MC and use the actionscript gotoAndPlay(1). This will loop your background text/image.

Sorry this is really a rough explanation... hope that helps.

Glorioso SLB
    Originally posted by Parks2
    I kind of have it figured out after pirating some acionscript from a tutorial...

Now I have to make it work with images...not just text.

Thanks again [/B]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Se a vida te virar as costa, aproveita e apalpa-lhe o rabo

Left-Handed Flash User mickbrit55's Avatar
    flashstick .... you dont need the gotoAndPlay(1); mate .... movie clips will loop by default

Mick.

Thanks everybody- it's a huge help!
    mikeparker