A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Simple modeling in Swift and Flash

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    I have read a ton of messages that say you cant model in the swift environment. Now while these models are simple they do show that you can model in the program if you take a little time. The "meatball Fighter" took all of 15 min thats with the render. the Castel took a little longer about 45 min and another few for the render. Regards, Bill

[swf width="200" height="200" background="#000000"]http://www.planetjesus.net/tifighter.swf[/swf]

[swf width="400" height="300" background="#444444"]http://www.planetjesus.net/cas.swf[/swf]

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    Cool! You need to upgrade your footer to a rocking 3D one

Get Squared Away.
    How do you make shapes like that in swift 3d w/o using the 3 basic ones they provide? Is there some sort of tool that you use that I don't know about?

castle anim

Hi
    Could someone point me to a tut about the castle anim, that plays (i assume) a movie when you mouse over the arrows.
    appreciate any help
    tia

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Yeah its called shapes extruded in swift out of flash saved as ai. I did it just so people could see that you can do complex shapes as extuded planes. You still are limited and you have to plan your project a bit and the modeling is a little harder. But if your new to 3D and dont know the other tools this would be normal to you. By the way your footer ROCKS!!! you have my vote!!

Get Squared Away.
    Thanks Bill for the tips, compliments and votes!

wow!

very nice work Pope!
    ...didn't know that sort of stuff could be made if swift...

I still don't get it though...did you make the graphics in Illustrator and exported them as .ai files?

I've had some troubles importing .ai's into swift...something about it only beeing able to read old versions of .ai's or something...?

Would you mind explaining how you did that modelling a bit further please...I mean the actuall procedure...what file format etc etc...

Thank You!

Get Squared Away.
    I believe he made the file in Flash, and exported from Flash as an .ai. Perhaps you need to get the latest upgrade from Swift to fix your problem.

Smile

Josiah!

...just visited your site...good work!

Hey Pope, nice work, You seem like the man.
    Hey, I saw in one of your previous entries that you work with Maya. I too, have been working with Maya for the last 2 years, I've just recently started learning Swift and flash, but swift is a limited 3d world to say the least. Since 3d files in Maya are pretty large, I was thinking of importing them into Swift, but have seen it only works with 3dmax, importing 3ds files. I've worked with 3dmax in the past but some of my ideas: melting text, etc. can best be done in Maya. Someone said to export Maya as an OBJ file into 3dmax, then save as 3ds, take into swift to vectorize, then into flash. I'm new to the 2d world so forgive me if I'm a little ignorant. Thanks in advance. Jo.

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Thats the basic jist of it. They are working on supporting other file formats but its going to be a bit. The other way I have been doing it is to use viewpoint and convert it through it. Although the program costs $500 and there is no need if you have Max or even Carrara, or any other program that saves out to 3ds. The bad thing is you have to do your animation in Max or you cant just drag it into Swift and render. Maya's animation info does not transfer into the Max file, at least I have not had success. Look forward to seeing some of your stuff. Are you going to be comming to FlashForward 2000 in NY? If you are the booth and some of the other guys like Vince who has http://www.WackedUSA.com , Alex from Triadis and Mano are going to be there and would be cool to talk. IF you have any other question or some way I can help let me know. Regards, Bill

Get Squared Away.

Ior

Thanks for checking out my site! I apprecitate it!! Thanks for the comments as well!!