A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Burj Dubai Skyscraper - 705 meters, maybe more!

Burj Dubai Skyscraper - 705 meters, maybe more!

They now started to build it, but the final height is still not sure:

http://www.burjdubai.com/

Dubai Looks to Build Tallest Skyscraper

Middle East - AP

By JIM KRANE, Associated Press Writer

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - For now, the world's tallest building-to-be is just a flower-shaped concrete tattoo on the desert sands, but its pilings are already in place, plunging 160 feet into the earth. When it's finished, visitors will swoon over this city from 123 stories high, if not more.

In fact the Burj Dubai will be much higher, the developers say — dozens of stories taller than skyscrapers in Taiwan, Chicago or anywhere else. But they are keeping the exact height a secret to flummox competitors in the world's furious race for the title of tallest skyscraper.

"We're going to records never approached before. Not only will it be the tallest building, it will be the tallest manmade tower," said Robert Booth, a director at Emaar Properties, the Dubai construction firm developing the spire-shaped, stainless-steel-skinned tower.

Booth said jokingly that once completed in 2008, the $900 million Burj will sport a movable spire to keep observers from ever gauging the true height.

"Only the chairman will know how tall it is," he joked.

He refused to reveal the total number of stories, but a mock elevator at the site held a button for a 189th floor. The building's 10 foot sway in the wind means designers need to prevent whiplash in the ultra-long cables hauling up 50 elevators.

The craze for height has hit hardest in industrializing Asian countries like Taiwan, Hong Kong and China, which boast seven of the world's 10 tallest buildings. The current tallest, at 101 floors, is the Taipei 101 in Taiwan, though Toronto's CN Tower is 180 feet higher, largely because of its huge antenna.

The Persian Gulf city of Dubai has staked its fame on engineering audacity such as its vast archipelagoes of artificial holiday islands, and the Burj, Arabic for "tower," is one of its more extreme mega-projects.

New York built skyscrapers because land was scarce; Dubai is doing it to get on the international map.

"It's image, clearly," said Richard Rosan, president of the Washington-based Urban Land Institute. "There is no practical reason for having a building this tall."

On paper, the Burj looks something like a giant space shuttle about to be launched into the clouds.

Booth took reporters to the open-air 37th floor of a neighboring building, a vertigo-inducing experience in itself, and chatted breezily while standing perilously close to the abyss.

"Can you imagine what it's going to be like on the 137th floor?" he said. "You can't be scared of heights to do this job."

Developers say the silvery steel-and-glass building will restore to the Middle East the honor of hosting the earth's tallest structure — a title lost in 1889 when the Eiffel Tower upset the 43-century reign of Egypt's Great Pyramid of Giza.

Designers have planned for catastrophes, manmade and other, said Greg Sang, Emaar's project manager for the Burj. Sang believes the concrete-core building would withstand an airliner strike of the sort that brought down the steel-frame World Trade Center.

"Concrete is much more robust than steel when you hit it. It's also much better at resisting fire," he said.

The tower owes its shape to American architect Adrian Smith, of the Chicago firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. Smith also designed Shanghai's 1,378-foot Jin Mao tower, the world's fourth tallest.

Workers from the chief contractor, South Korea's Samsung, are already swarming over the slab, shaped in three rounded lobes like a local desert flower.

A hotel will occupy the lower 37 floors. Floors 45 through 108 will have 700 private apartments — already sold in just eight hours, the developer said.

Corporate offices and suites will fill most of the rest, except for a 123rd floor lobby and 124th floor observation deck — with an outdoor terrace for the brave. The spire will also hold communication equipment.

As for the title of world's tallest, Sang expects the Burj to hold it for a few years. "But someone, somewhere will come along and build a taller building. It's just a matter of time and money."
    Guess I have to send my CV to all companies that got there office in there.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

Peace - Just in Heaven koolbabs2000's Avatar
    Eeeks !!!
    Im scared of heights.
    Count me out for working there ...
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
    - The Mahatma.

they would have to shoiw movies while going up the elevator
    no really, I do
    Spam

The thing I don't like, there's no base where you could do a base jump, they really have to add a platform somewhere.

Fredi

What are they doing about the threat of terrorism to a building of such stature?

It'll be a magnet to freeks/psychos and idiots from all over the globe!

They pin a big photo of you on top of it, that alone will stop every airplane from coming closer than 1000 meters, for sure!

Fredi

Pah! Then it would be swamped with beautiful women trying to get to the top floor!!!!

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    To do what? Jump?
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

what was the estimated height of the new trade center?

"Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    On paper, the Burj looks something like a giant space shuttle about to be launched into the clouds.
    I would have said a Saturn V, but that's just me.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Originally posted by lefteyewilly
    1776 feet...
    Yup - US patriotism at work there.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

thats not all..

they are building the worlds largest shopping mall underneath it.. which would also have the worlds largest aquarium!