A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R U one with the Mac??

Enlightened One
    I am new to the board and a neophyte to web development. I feel like the only mac user in a web created by the PC. Are there any others in this long dark tunnel? Does anyone have an opinion on this matter, or maybe an experience
    to share.
    Hello....HELLOOOOO!!....
    Regards,Buddah

Smile

Hmmm, posted a reply to this yesterday but it seems to have been removed? I think I may have started to rant too much.

Plenty of Mac developers out there, and having used Flash extensively on the PC and Mac I know which I would choose

Enlightened One

Smile

Thank you for helping a fellow Brit windy.
    I wonder, have you ever had to send a flash file to a pc over the internet.
    I have tried to send some to friends, but they are unable to open them.

when I e-mail my .fla from my MAC at home to my work PC it works fine.
    Are you adding the .fla extension when you save it on your MAC?

CheerZ
    rosie

RE

PC Rules. . .Period

http://www.dimensionstudios.net

mac is da ruler

i have the benefit of using mac at home and pc at work. mac has never let me down, it's awesome. as for opening files on pc from mac, i've never had a problem. just make sure you have the .fla extension or view all files.
    i've seen people convert after giving the mac a chance.
    i think pc is very limited in a graphic sense but it has its postives too.
    my 2 cents.
    eileen

Further to adding the .fla extension (this may or may not be a problem as I have not actually done it myself) you are sending the .fla file to someone running the same or higher version of Flash as you? i.e. I imagine if you're running v. 4 and sending it to someone with v. 2 problems are probably going to occur.

Further to the PC rules comment: I've promised to be on my best behaviour and will not offer a response...

Well, not today anyway

Enlightened One

pc rules

Pc rules ha ha.

You have obviously not felt the true power of the Mac. Join us and be enlightened.

RE

HA i stick by my words "PC ROCKS" Mac sucks.

http://www.dimensionstudios.net

Enlightened One
    Pc rocks.Yes it is very unstable..

Enlightened One
    Windy,
    I am sending the movie to someone with the Flash player only.

Please... the comment

Senior Moderator
    I Dont Like Them!!!Especcially Imac's the mouse sucks on them!!!So you may have guessed that i use PC's!!!

Regards Flashguru

If you are sending the movie to someone with just the Flash Player then you must publish the movie and send them the .swf file (as opposed to the .fla which will only open in the Flash itself).

If you have any problems sending .swf files check out the Standalone & Applications section of Flashkit which has lots of handy hints for producing standalone Flash Projectors.

resolved PC forever

this is something I am always defending myself on, at a University that is all Macs, in the graphics labs, in the Advertising and Communication dept, etc. Here are the reasons I don't like Macs, will never buy one:
    1) One button mouse. Sure there are keyboard shortcuts, and I know them fairly well. But there are certain things you get used to doing (create motion tween, right click PC mouse) many things in photoshop. I know the new Macs have two button mouses, mice, whatever. But not everyone has these at school. And there are no PC's there.

2) Why do I have to select from a top menu on a MAC to eject my ZIP disk? even with external IOMEGA drives, the button is always turned off, you still have to go to the menu.

3) Price. You will always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, forever... be able to build a killer PC that will destroy any $3,000 MAC G3 or G4 out there.

I know many people in graphics will swear by the MAC, and that is probably all the ever use. but when you use a PC, and you see how much easier things are on it, who wants the hastle? A few professors have told me that the only reason many graphics people use MACs is becuase that was the first computer that dealt with graphics and such. I see no reason there to abandon PC and join that Apple bandwagon.

comments, please!

mg33

Beyond the Sea
    Ah...the age-old debate rages on...

I've used both platforms all my life. I'll continue to use both platforms for the rest. The programs are about the same. The interface is pretty standard (although OSX is going to throw a wrench into things). I have to say, I can work faster on the PC, but weird things seem to go wrong with the system and I find myself restarting often. But, my UMAX mac clone crashes about 4 times before you can even start it up...and now that damn thing's CD-rom has gone out...and I don't have $2500 for a new Mac...

You know what rules? Linux.

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.

Rich
    http://www.richpaul.com

hey.
    about ejecting a disk on a mac?
    all you have to do is either drag it to the trash, or control + click on the disk, or right click if you have a 2 button mouse, or go to the menu, look at all the options. hey i use both pc at work and mac at home. i think the interface on the mac supercedes the pc. it's a more logical interface in my opinion.
    macs can get expensive, mainly their monitors that's why i bought a kds, not great but it works.
    i'm sticking to my guns, mac iz da rula!!!
    my 2 cents.
    eileen

resolved

eileen, with the menu's, that's too much work! LOL

mg33

Where I come from command+Y ejects any disk selected.

Reliability isn't a fair comparison anymore, my Windows 98SE falls over a lot more than my G3. In fact Windows 98 is more stable running on an emulator (VirtualPC) on my G3 than it is on Dell Dimension XPS T600 with 128Mb Ram. Actually, it runs quicker as well under emulation if we're going to get really down to it.

With reference to the Professor's comments, most people will know that the Mac's architecture (certainly G3/G4 running MacOS 8 upwards) means it is soooo much faster at running things like Photoshop/Flash etc. that it makes PC's look like wind up toys

As for PC's being cheaper, you pays for what you get, I have never, ever had an Apple branded hardware failure (well, there was once, but that was my fault for running cracked software that corrupted a lovely new 1Gb HD - yes this was when 1Gb HD's were considered the latest, bestest thing) including a PowerMac 7100/66 that is nearly an antique in computing lifespans.

I've been scarred for life by the crappy, you don't know how crappy, macs at my school. I will never touch one again, no matter how good. I hate those things!!!!! Damn those Apple people and their previous monopoly over schools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

{squink}

Enlightened One
    Schools can make up their own mind as to which computer they want.
    Considering the amount of PCs in yer face every where you go, i don't think Apple are monopolizing anything.
    Price is certainly an issue for most, but i agree, you pay for what you get.
    I wouldn't shut down my learning curve just because i thought i had to go through a menu to eject a disk.
    This is always an interesting topic for me, so i hope we hear more views.
    Regards. Buddah

I am one with the mac, but I am open to the dark side. I will never fully cross to the dark side though.

[Edited by buddah on 07-06-2000 at 06:06 PM]