A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R U one with the Mac??

Squink, where do you go to school? I'm near Dallas, TX, and I totally agree with you. Maybe, just maybe, if I had a new G4 at home I would come around. But I doubt it. Yah, I seriously doubt it. MACs are all over the place, yes, they are monopolistic on the networking in schools and businesses. Not Microsoft monopolistic, but you know what I mean.

over and out

mg33

resolved

Buddah - I use a load of programs for web design on the Mac and some of these i use on the PC too. When all's said and done the PC world have it easy cos there's so many of them and all software is available for PC's (normally). That said i'll still keep my Mac thanks, and suffer whatever consequences that may bring (none to date).

resolved Words of wisdom?

A wise man once said, "The choice between which personal computer you use should be just that - personal."
    That's good enough for me.

I'm up in canada (toronto). And yes the macs did (keyword: did) have a monopoly, not over the market, but they would give the computers to schools cheaper so they would buy alot. If there something apple is good at its marketing, small things like that and making the imac pretty sell like crazy. Does anyone think imacs would sell as well if they were grey and ugly? no way. Anyways, now schools are coming to their senses and buying lots of new pc's. In case anyone thinks I'm talking about universities and colleges I'm only 14 so I'm talking about High Schools and Junior highs, middle schools, elementary ect.

They were really bad computers, the other kids don't mind but I used to get SO frustrated they were really really bad. I can't stress that enough. You'd probably feel the same way if u were in my position.

PS- don't take my comments so seriously, I'm not altering my learning curve I just have strong preferences.

thanx.
    [Edited by squink on 07-07-2000 at 12:43 PM]

Mac-Vs-Pc

I work as a network administrator on a Hybrid network that has Novell, Unix, Lynux and Windows NT (No Macs..) I personally have a pc and a recently purchased Imac G3. I would have to say I use both of them on a regular basis for side projects (Flash design) and I see great advantages to both platforms. Only difference is, Macs are proprietary(which I DESPISE!) and pc's are not. Another thing I find interesting is the subject of Bill Gates vs. Steve Jobs. They are both evil. Does anybody else think so?

My two cents.
    Meth

i'd say...

i would have to say bill gates (is more evil from the two). one, he's been around longer (monopolized the industry) jobs came back into the picture in the mid-90s. two, bill gates owns a piece of apple so he obviously knows something good when he sees it. how can you say macs have monopolized the industry? people buy pcs b/c their cheaper (not better). isn't bill gates in the process of being sued b/c of monopolizing the market? imacs are the answer to lower-end pcs but they are still good (g3 processor) they're just as cheap as pcs and are faster than them. i have a question? anyone here that opposes to the mac... have you ever tried it, atleast the newer versions of g3 or g4 or imac (i'm not talking about clones)? i use both so i have a pretty good perspective. by the way i'm in a university and all the administrators and the computer labs suped up their offices and bought g4's with the apple monitor to match. it's a pretty big university... university of florida... have you heard of it?
    e.

people people, read all of the post before you go complaining. I said they had a monopoloy over the schools. i also said that I wasn't talking about universities or colleges. Geez. I never once mentioned the word industry. I propose a rule. Before you post you read over the message you're replyng to, that would save alot of um...post space? Go to any school, atleast in Toronto and you will find many macs, maybe they have bought pc's recently but you will never ever find old pc's. It's a fact.

and yes thank you I've heard of the university of florida.

da what? i have been reading! i've been posting. someone asked a question about bill gates vs. steve jobs. that's how the issue came up. and topics do evolve, i wasn't directing my post to you m'kay. i was being general.
    don't take it personal.
    e.

u said how could you say macs have a monopoly over the industry. Which no one said.

Enlightened One
    To monopolize is to have full control. As cheap as Apple made their computer, the school still had the option to buy PC.
    When i say to Sqink about her learning curve, it was just a little advice.
    I respect everyone's personal preference as to which computer suits them. But it seems this war will be around for a while. All I am saying to her is the more you know the better and knowing both platforms can only be an advantage. As much as I loathe the Pc, knowing it isn't going to hurt me. Knowing both is going to open doors.
    I envy you squink for having the option of computers at 14. Use the time to learn everything that you can.
    Every one has their opinion and I'm sure none of us mean any offense by expressing them.
    We can only learn from each other.
    Regards Buddha

Let's get back on track.

[Edited by buddah on 07-07-2000 at 08:32 PM]

my final post concerning...

{squink}
    i just want to set the record straight... i said 'monopolize the industry'. i was refering my post to the people saying pc is the best thing in the world (i am paraphrasing now). this is just my opinion, i thought i was discussing. the last thing i want to do is offend. as i said discussions evolve, i was just defending my opinion this is what i meant, pc does monopolize mainly b/c that's the computer that everyone uses, it's become the norm for so long. for example i wanted to purchase the 'actionscript viewer' but couldn't b/c the software developers are only familiar with pc, i know cause i spoke to one of them. the swift tools at least through their web site, is only for windows machines. i know through your previous posts you mentioned several times that you meant in the past and only elem. and secondary schools. i just borrowed your term and used it in my post, not directed to you exactly. as i said i was being general.
    i hope this cleared the air.
    peace.
    no hard feelings.
    laters.
    eileen

oops sorry, I feel stoopid now. hehehehehe.