A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: info on wireless backbone - how to

info on wireless backbone - how to

heyo all,

Im looking at tinkering with mobile devices, and I was wondering where I can find more information or how-to guides on how to get starts with the actual back-end stuff, e.g. connecting devices, sending messages,etc. I know Flash very well, but the wireless stuff is a mystery.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Unverse

Its not very clear what you are asking for...

do you want information about how to set up a wireless network?

OR

do you want information about how to send a text message from a web server?

hey hp3

mostly the sending of messages from the backend, as in sending msgs to Flash Apps (data, text) on devices and how to start the process of learning (test environments, what I need to start playing with it, etc.)

Hope this helps

If your goal is to integrate server side process with a mobile device using Flash as the client, then you need the following:

a device that supports Flash and network access
    a version of Flash on the device
    a server to test network connections
    a script on the server to process data sent from flash
    a script in flash to send data to the server.

For PDAs you would use a WI-FI network to transfer data between server and client. WI-FI plays the same role as a regular Local Area Network (LAN) but does not require wires. For flash you can send HTTP data or set up a TCP/IP XML socket server that runs over a WI-FI network.

If your PDA does not support WI-FI, and only supports bluetooth then I think you are limited to file transfers and not HTTP access. So there is no direct way to send and receive data from Flash over bluetooth. Another option is to use a bluetooth enabled phone as a wireless modem for a PDA.

For phones, you will need an account with your preferred network operator to send data from Flash to server.

FlashLite 1.1 uses loadVariables to send and receive url encoded name value pairs.

Flash 5 mobile and Flash 6 for Pocket PC in addition to supporting loadVariables, can also use XML features of Flash 5 and 6 for transfering data.

Actionscript and server side scripting for sending data from Flash mobile is the same as from desktop.