A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 12 Inch IBOOK g4 FRESH INSTALL QUESTION

12 Inch IBOOK g4 FRESH INSTALL QUESTION

Hey, heres the deal, I bought a Ibook G4 off ebay it's the 12inch this will be my 4th mac in the home studio now. When I started it up t's asking me for the orignal users password, I don't know it. Neither do they. SO, I have some os install cd's from my g4 towers, can I use them to do a fresh install, can I just bypass the password? OR I know someone with a 17inch can I use their software? Please help. Thanks

Secret Agent

Just install

When insert the cd and restart with the c key pressed, you can install over top of the old installation.

You also have the option of resetting the root password and logging in as root, where you can change, delete and add users.
    I'm pretty sure this option is in the file menu when you have started up from the osx install cd.

But you really might want to consider formatting and installing a fresh system onto the drive.

Formatting is available via disk utility from the file menu when you start up from the cd. If you want to be extra careful, you can rezero the drive, which makes sure there are no block errors on the drive and if there are kind-of shuts them down, so your computer won't try to write to them.

Have fun,
    aldorr