A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3D Game

3D Game

Hello, I am making a game where you can walk in a 3D room. However, it uses hitTest and Flash won't care what you (Z) position is. How can you set the Z Position? (Not Depth, depth is just layering)

Opu Nui
    In your 3D room, everything should have a scale value associated with it. The smaller the scale the farther away in front of your character that object would be.

Therefore, if the vertical and horizontal scale values are roughly equal to 1 and the hitTest is true, your charater should be standing on top of the object.

How do you set scales?

Opu Nui
    MC._xscale, MC._yscale

I was mistaken before, an object that is at original size will have a value of 100, not 1.

Umm, xscale and yscale just change it's size, not its 3rd dimension position. Say your in the front of the room. If you jumped (and a button was in the back) it would register it as a hitTest because it looks like they hit, even though we no they are nowhere near eachother in reality.

You could give each object a depth value, and it either tests for hitTests if you and the object are on the same depth, or it tests for hitTests then tests to see if you and the object are on the same depth.

For example:
    Code:
    //(im calling it depth, but it can be anything you want, such as 'z' - it doesnt matter what you call it)
    if (object1.depth==character.depth) {
        if (object1.hitTest(character)) {
            //Whatever it does here
        }
    }
    And of course there's a lot more optimized ways of doing this, but i do believe this is the general idea.

~MD

Lol thanks, and then as the character is walking up it just subtracts depth?