A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: .swf handling help PLEASE

.swf handling help PLEASE

I have a site with 5 multiple .swf files. Originally I had one .swf file and several different scenes. However, loading became a problem because on of my scenes was quite a bit larger and users would need to wait for that to load before they could access following scenes properly (yes, I did fool around with changing the scene order, but wasn't satisfied with the result). HOWEVER, I love the was things work when everything is in one .swf file. My changes between scenes are smooth. An example of this setup is here:

http://www.kathycmiller.com/stix/flash/new.htm
    (my problem lies mostly when people click on collection then stix - it takes awhile for my graphics to fully load)

Now, I reworked the files two other ways. One - I exported each scene as an individual .swf file and loaded the .swf files from my main .swf file. This seemed to cure the problem with my images loading, but I lost the smooth transition between the .swf files. There is a second or two delay between each change over giving me a black bacground.

I also reworked them and placed each .swf file into an htm file and loaded them as external .htm files to see if that was better. No, in the end it seemed to give the same result as loading the .swf files. Here is a link to this example:

http://www.kathycmiller.com/stix2/

If anyone has any suggestions for me regarding how to smooth my links you would MAKE MY DAY. I am primarily concerned with the link from Collection to Stix. In time, I will have the same problem between Collection and Pebbles (right now Pebbles does not have very much information).

Thanks for any response!

Kcm

Are you using the loadMovie or MovieClipLoader script to link your swf files?

Load movie - it the other better?

loadMovie won't show your page until the entire page is loaded. But you can attach your preloader to the MovieClipLoader script and it will show the page as it loads. You could also set up a preloader on each page and still use the loadMovie, but with MovieClipLoader, you set up your preloader once and then everytime you use your MovieClipLoader variable the preloader is automatically attached.