A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: In Theory - Hardcore Tile Based Question

In Theory - Hardcore Tile Based Question

I was watching a friend play Diablo2 last night for an hour or so, and noticed that basically Diablo and Diablo2 just work off Tile Based graphics engines. That got my little flash mind wondering.....

Would Flash be capable of running something like Diablo2?

Note: I'm not asking how much work it would take (bloody heaps) or saying that I want to do it right now (well I'd like no, but no way do I have the resources to!).

Just....do you recon, with all the different Tile based engines we've seen so far, from Strille, Tonypa, etc.....if the effort was put in, could they feasibly handle something like Diablo2?

better than chuck norris
    yes.

but a scaled down version of course.

you mortals always forget that anything is possible.

Mmmm...yeah, pity the code is so slow, can't get highly intelligent AI.....or can you? Haven't heard of anyone really pushing the limits of AS2 yet (or try some insane thing with bytecode)

Oh well, hopefully future versions of the flash player will improve performance.....and CPU's are always getting faster. Mmmmm...now that makes me wonder how Flash will run on these new Dual-Core Cpu's AMD and Intel are jumping up and down about......

Back to the topic at hand. So, we recon graphically, it's feasible for flash to run something like Diablo2 ...... Hey Jobe, I got this really good idea for a Multiplayer game......can I have that free copy of ElectroServer now? :P

j/k

Diablo doesnt have intelligent enemies. They mostly check if player is visible and then attack, thats not intelligent. For most part you can build similar game in Flash too, only scrolling the stage will set you down so you need to choose to make either non-scrolling game or to use very small stage area, neither of which are very good options.

You could always forget about the scrolling and do what HappinessSame did (i think it was him) with the Doomed engine, split it into many rooms and load the tile maps as needed, that should save a chunk of fps.

I dont see why a game like Diablo couldnt be made in flash, i mean like tonypa said the enemies arent that intelligent, they follow the character and attack when close enough, should just take some well made if statemenes.

good luck anyway.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

Originally posted by tonypa
    only scrolling the stage will set you down so you need to choose to make either non-scrolling game or to use very small stage area, neither of which are very good options.
    I do not really agree with any of that.
    I do stuff that does stuff...

J-Force

Originally posted by LeechmasterB
    I do not really agree with any of that.
    With what?

link

DancingOctopus had a demo with even more tiles that ran really smooth.
    // Mazapán, my portfolio

It is so ****ing easy to do nice scrolling of 1600 x 1600 pix maps so I donjt really see your point. Also ai is no big deal.... so whats the actual problem= ? Nothging diablo could be modded close to 100 %of the original. and i mean .

J-Force

And yes i have played diablo 1 and two single player as multi, i know exactly what it is like and what id does engine wise!

J-Force

is that DancingOctopus tiles really big or just me. anyway interesting demo, but i not really like that control

Originally posted by LeechmasterB
    Nothging diablo could be modded close to 100 %of the original. and i mean .
    can we get that again, in english this time?

Originally posted by mclelun
    is that DancingOctopus tiles really big or just me. anyway interesting demo, but i not really like that control
    That's my demo. Is was just trying to show that you could get away with a decent screensize if you use larger tiles. DancingOctopus' demo had about the same screensize and even more tiles (much smaller ones) and it ran smoothly too.
    // Mazapán, my portfolio

I think some of you get an engine concept and full game a little confused sometimes. Sure a scrolling engine runs at full speed at super high map sizes... but thats all it is, a scrolling engine. Add everything else you need for a finished game and suddenly it doesn't scroll so smoothly anymore.