dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] Making a FPS

neo_byte07

resolved [RESOLVED] Making a FPS

Hi! Im making a fps(first person shooting) game on flash MX and my only problem is:
    1.how to do it?
    2.I dont just got it...I know how to use flash and scripting....I have done many platform games etc. but this...

COULD ANYONE HELP? IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE TO DO FPS GAME ON FLASH? IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO DO IT, GIVE ME A LINK OR AN EXAMPLE...!!! I REALLY WANT TO DO IT....BUT I DONT JUST KNOW HOW TO DO THE FPS ENGINE?!

and I dont mean a stand - shoot - game...I mean...like DOOM...you can MOVE!!! I dont want to make a game, where you are clicking a mouse...I wanna make a fps game, where you are moving using KEYS!!!

neo,

Not to sound like a downer or anything, but from your post I gleen that something like this is outside of your capacity at this time. Flash *could* do an FPS, but it's not a platform suited for the type of game you wish to make. I'd take a look at Shockwave first.
    gamedozer games
    Free multiplayer and singleplayer games

Re: Making a FPS

Originally posted by neo_byte07
    Hi! Im making a fps(first person shooting) game on flash MX and my only problem is:
    1.how to do it?
    2.I dont just got it...I know how to use flash and scripting....I have done many platform games etc. but this...
    Tervetuloa Flashkittiin.
    First of all, You're not making FPS-game. I think You morely would like to do it.

I wouldn't jump right in the middle of making FPS-games. First make twenty---hundreds of game engines, to get real feel of game programming. I have programmed about 15 years now. I know what I can and could do.

If Your code isn't optimazed, it gets fast CPU unfriendly.

The biggest problem I figured is:
    Depth Sorting
    - ok, Depth Sorting for Objects aren't so hard to make (we can always use sortcuts). But You were saying like DOOM... hmmm... multiple floors with Multiple walls with Multiple Objects... I think it's a Depth Sorting Hell in Flash.

Originally posted by neo_byte07
    and I dont mean a stand - shoot - game...I mean...like DOOM...you can MOVE!!! I dont want to make a game, where you are clicking a mouse...I wanna make a fps game, where you are moving using KEYS!!!
    I think You should try to do this in 2D (when I say 2D, it's everything with orthogonal perspective ;D )
    The AI, level system, everything would be done exactly the same. Only the visuals and UserInterace would be different.
    Think it Doom without perspective. I think Youll find it yet enought challenging.

happy coding.

HACHI-ROKU!!!!
    Hi. Well, I forgot who wrote the coding, I think it was Strylle, I think that's how you spell his name. Anyhow, look up Raycasting in Flash. There should be an open source code for you to use to make games like doom. It's a pretty good and clean engine. Hope this helps.
    Life is what you make it!