A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how do you make a pyramid in swift?

Hey There,

Okay...I've just purchased a copy of Swift...for use on a particular project. This project requires me to create an animated 3 sided pyramid. I don't have access to any other 3d animation program but Swift advertises itself as capable of modelling simple objects. I believe a pyramid is a pretty simple object to model....but I can't figure it out. I've tried importing an illustrator eps and extruding it...but that only creates an extruded triangle

Any suggestions ??
    Please?

cheers,
    Brian

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    The best solution I know of is to bring in that triangle and then duplicate it. and line things up. I will create a triangle for you and make it available today. I will also let the guys at erain know that you would like that as part of the primitives set at the top. I agree it needs to be there. If you have any questions or problems, just ask. Regards, Bill

I got it... nice problem... ok here:

1. Make a square drawing and save it as a .eps file.

2. Import the square into Swift3D and click on the SIZING tab (or window thingie or whatever it's called.) and set the depth to 1.000 and the Width and the Height to 0 (yes, ZERO).

3. Click on the BEVELS tab thingie and set it to Beveled, Depth 1.000 and Front.

4. Click Apply. Boom. Pyramid... WIth this technique you can really make some interesting stuff...

http://www.wackedusa.com/swiftbevels/ Will show three examples of shapes with these settings (including the Pyramid.)

Let me know if this helps.

Smile

Yah...that worked. I needed a 3 sided pyramid so I substituted a triangle for the square in your example. I ended up with a kinda short fat pyramid but I can probably scale that in flash to achieve the taller pyramid I'm looking for.Thanks alot for your help

I have to say overall I'm very dissapointed in this program!I think it has good potential but I wouldn't suggest anyone buy this unless they have another 3d grafix program to assist them in the modelling phase, as the modelling in Swift is too simple.

Unless of course you need it for 3d text...Swift handles that very well.

I also found it agonizingly slow. If your trying to animate more than 3 words of text...forget about it. The program just can't keep up! There are no tools for precise animation. I'd like to type in my values for locations and rotations but ..no go. Hell...even the ability to copy and paste keyframes would help a great deal but again this hasn't been implimented.

Oh well.....enough complaining. Thanks agian for the help!!

cheers,

Brian

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Excellent Vince!! I was going to do it the hard way. Kudo's!!! Bill