dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logo Design - Comments/ Crits

Logo Design - Comments/ Crits

Hey everyone, I made this logo for a site my friend and I will be making for one of our business endeavours over the summer. I was wondering what any of you think that I can do to make it look better.

As you can probably tell, I'm not very artistically inclined at all, so any help offered would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    DaVuLf
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi DaVulf,

There are some things you must consider when designing a logo:
    1) What is it for, what is it supposted to express (yours looks like it might be for a taxi firm...?)
    2) On what media will it be used? Print, digital? They have different requirements.
    3) In what sizes will it be displayed? A logo should look good at all sizes you want to use it. Small sizes will be a problem with your design.
    4) Does it have to fit in with other design elements like fonts, color etc.

Good luck, HTH, Danielle.

What is it for? Looks like the end of an old-fashioned bed. Who or what is Richmond? And why should he/she/it be a VIP? A logo should signal what a company does, so you are going to have to revise this if you want to communicate anything. You need to supply more info.

G

Thanks for the comments!

Danielle R:
    There are some things you must consider when designing a logo:
    1) What is it for, what is it supposted to express (yours looks like it might be for a taxi firm...?)

It's for a clubbing/bar pictures webpage.

2) On what media will it be used? Print, digital? They have different requirements.

It will be only used in digital form.

3) In what sizes will it be displayed? A logo should look good at all sizes you want to use it. Small sizes will be a problem with your design.

It will only be displayed on the site as a banner.

4) Does it have to fit in with other design elements like fonts, color etc.

I will be basing the rest of the site off of this logo, that's why I want it to look better (because to me it looks like garbage right now).

goliard:

What is it for?
    A site that shows pictures taken at bars and clubs in my city.

Looks like the end of an old-fashioned bed.
    It's supposed to be one of those red velvet seperators (you see them at the theatre).

Who or what is Richmond?
    It's the main street in my city, and it has all the bars/clubs on it.

And why should he/she/it be a VIP?
    The whole purpose was that the people going to the bars/clubs feel like VIP's because they have their pictures published to a website.

A logo should signal what a company does, so you are going to have to revise this if you want to communicate anything. You need to supply more info.

The info will be supplied through the site itself. I will take the communication bit into consideration though..

Thanks again for the comments. If anyone has any artistic critiques, that would also be more than welcome.

OK, good response!

1) Composition is too tame. Consider a Manhattan-style skyline in the background, starry sky above, separator things big close-up in foreground. A worm's eye view can sometimes add a little drama

2) Think about making the red ropes/brass supports show more form and texture -- it's difficult to picture them as it stands, it's too abstract

3) Maybe some 'flash' spiky call-outs to simulate flash guns going off?

4) 468 x 60 pixels is a standard banner size (I think). You might get some extra publicity by trading banners or links with other sites, but they will probably expect your banner to be a standard size...

Some things to think about anyway

HTH

G

1) Composition is too tame. Consider a Manhattan-style skyline in the background, starry sky above, separator things big close-up in foreground. A worm's eye view can sometimes add a little drama

That's a great idea. I'll definately try to find myself a silhouette of a cityscape. That could be neat...

2) Think about making the red ropes/brass supports show more form and texture -- it's difficult to picture them as it stands, it's too abstract.

So you mean... make it look better? :P I'm afraid it's not that simple for me... As i mentioned earlier, I'm not that great with art things. I will look for a brass tutorial though. (if you have any ideas on how to make good looking velvet, let me know).

3) Maybe some 'flash' spiky call-outs to simulate flash guns going off?

What does you mean by this?

4) 468 x 60 pixels is a standard banner size (I think). You might get some extra publicity by trading banners or links with other sites, but they will probably expect your banner to be a standard size...

I will definately resize this banner. Thanks for the information.

Thanks for the comments goliard!

I've lashed up a quick rough for you to use, if you want. There are a few elements you can improve upon, move around, use as placeholders etc.

HTH

G

Here's another one. Took me about ten minutes. Use it without restriction. I've taken plenty from Flashkit -- it's nice to give something back.

G

That's perfect. Thanks alot for your help Goliard, I really appreciate it.

If you need any help with anything else, just let me know. I may not be great at drawing, but I'm pretty good with AS.

Thanks! Maybe I'll be in touch!! Would appreciate a link to the finished site when you're done?

Of course.

Goliard: I've been working on another image, let me know what you think.

Whoops, forgot to attach image.

Sorry about double post.

Don't like the font, but everything else is good. Like the big old moon -- reminds me of werewolves and vampires...! Well done.

G

Don't like the font eh... I was going for more of an elegant, cursive-esque font. Classy, you know?

What would you think?

It's too static, too sixties, too clumsy -- try a chunkier italic cursive font with a bit of oomph, you know?...

G

I slopped one on there, I'll post it when I get home.

I like the last one better than the first, the concept is good, the font isn't. The contrast is awful when it starts to go onto the sky, the outer glow just kind of blends in, try revising it a few more times, you'll get it.

I've tried a few other fonts, but nothing seems to look nice... I've searched all of 'fontface.com' for a nice one, and nothing seems to go.

I reworked an old piece I had maybe this will give you ideas.

Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).