A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need object/array serializer for Flash

Unaffiliated deity.

Need object/array serializer for Flash

I'm trying to convert an application that uses SharedObjects into an application that uses encrypted text files to store data. I need a couple of simple functions to serialize/unserialize my objects. All I can find are these whack WDDX classes that are WAAAAAAY too much trouble to use and output XML which I don't need. No server communication is going on here. All I want is two functions. One called "serialize" and one called "unserialize" that could be used alone or converted into prototypes for the Array and Object datatypes in FlashMX 2004. Has anyone seen anything like that?
    Nowhere does science promise emancipation.

FK Slacker
    How do you want to serialize the objects?

Novemberain Master
    Maybe this would help you?

Never give up...

Unaffiliated deity.
    Hey Unsteady...thanks, but that's only got half of what I need. I had already looked at sephiroth's work, but it's really only good for passing data from PHP into Flash. The serializer is in PHP, the unserializer is in actionscript, but no way to serialize the data in actionscript. It's pretty sad that Macromedia didn't build this function already, but PHP has spoiled me. It's trivial to do in PHP. I guess I can probaly use the existing Sephiroth unserializer and then write the serializer I need myself in actionscript, but I'm really surprised that nobody else has posted an actionscript serializer/unserializer already. In response to deadbeat, I want to serialize an object containing a gigantic collection of arrays of objects into a string. It's really just a matter of recursively looping through the properties of objects and any other complex data types they might hold and spitting out the values into a string encoded in such a way that the complex datatype can be reconstructed by the unserializer. It would be nice if I could find something that worked exactly like PHP's serialize/unserialize functions. Anyway, I guess I'll have to write my own if nobody around here has the goods. I've looked everywhere else.

Unaffiliated deity.

Oooops

DOH! I went back and looked at the Sephiroth site again and it does have both a serializer and an unserializer.