A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can we write a file through flash?

Can we write a file through flash?

Hello,

I am producing one assessment with flash MX 2004. I am collecting data as per user's responses. I want to write theses responses in to a file(say text or xml format). Is it possible through flash? Can some one guide me how to do that?

To add more in above, I want to write the responses string(may be xml formated) in a file locally. There will be one assessment.htm file which will call a flash swf file inside the same window or in a different full window.

If anyone can help me in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Guy Logical

the Flash Local Shared Object stores data the way a cookie would do, so if you need to keep record of a users input for later use, that's the way to go. all other methods require backend third party scripts in php or the like.

here's macromedia on Local Shared Objects:

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/kn...fm?id=tn_16194
    :::i am jacks complete lack of surprise:::

Thanks for your reply. But what I want is to store the result string(comparitively heavy - say greater than 200KB) in to a new file. So in short I will need to create a new txt/xml file at run time and then store the result string into that file and save the file.

Hope the above will give a clear idea. My understanding is there will need user's permission to store data more than 100KB if we use shareobjects. Again I want to clear that I dont want to use Fscommand for this purposes as I am using Flash MX 2004.

Any inputs?

Thanks & Regards,
    Guy Logical