A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New Forum (Sticky)

New Forum (Sticky)

Bob, Looking at the posts over the last few weeks I really think that the old post for a newbies site is getting very close,,, the general forum has become very techie and I think that maybe a few people are being put off or being frightened away from what is esentially a very simple and easy to use program. I'd be happy,, as no doubt a few other regulars would also be happy to help run it. That way we would be able to combine the two forums and point users in the right direction. I know from my own point of view that sometimes the posts are written in a foriegn language (AS especially) so it stands to reason that a Newbie is going to be totally intimidated. It's up to you,, but it's worth thinking about.
    humanus somes est divinitus in ipsum
    Wiliiam Wallace

Getting better day by day.....
    gusmus,

With regards to the "newbie" / "techie" debate - as a new user with no understanding of all things "flash" I have found this forum very very helpfull. Yes, i admit that at times a lot of replies appear to be in some sort of ancient dialect, but for those who really want help-a bit of persistance genreraly prevails.
    Maybe what is needed (apart from the problems with accesing the forum at times) is a clear indication under the members name of his/her level of expertise - for example "Complete Novice" , "Limited Knowledge", "average ", V good" "advanced".
    This would then give the members replying some indication to what sort of reply they should give.

Regards

Imladris

Degenerate and baise art thou. docree's Avatar
    I'm sorry Imladris,
    sometimes people lie about their expertise.
    And if the status was changed per post count,
    we would have post wars here just to gain rank.

Also, we tend to underestimate ourselves.
    I consider myself in the V good range but sometimes I go on an advanced tanget.
    Or, post examples that would make a noob chase their own tail.

Usualy a person is honest about what kind of posts they can handle.
    Rather, it's a good idea to let people know that you're
    ready for the tech talk or not...
    Doc'Ree

very true - as i said - as a beginner i've found this forum very useful. Keep up the good work Flashkit is what i say!!

imladris

I agree w/ imladris that the greatest problem/barrier for newbies is the Flashkit performance. There have been times when I couldn't get a search to work to save my life. The information is here, and on topics like shape versus symbol or using the bones tool, the info is not getting dated.

Here's the old post back in Dec '04 open cut down

I wonder about the stats on KM users (former data anlayst talking): Turnover, average length of KM use, uses of KM, related applications used with KM, other forums visited on a regular basis, websites visited on a regular basis, education level, income level, job title, job category, position on **** *******, age, sex, rank three features you would like to see added to KM, etc. Plug it into an Excel pivot table, results would be interesting (but meaningless without comparison to other Flash app user stats except for the turnover question).

On the turnover question, follow up is why they aren't using KM, and if they are still doing Flash, what app are they using. If a signicant reason people stop using KM is the forum (and what exactly about the forum), then definitely it should be addressed. But that is just my opinon; Bob is the final arbiter.

Re: New Forum (Sticky)

Originally posted by gusmus
    Bob, Looking at the posts over the last few weeks I really think that the old post for a newbies site is getting very close,,, the general forum has become very techie and I think that maybe a few people are being put off or being frightened away from what is esentially a very simple and easy to use program. I'd be happy,, as no doubt a few other regulars would also be happy to help run it. That way we would be able to combine the two forums and point users in the right direction. I know from my own point of view that sometimes the posts are written in a foriegn language (AS especially) so it stands to reason that a Newbie is going to be totally intimidated. It's up to you,, but it's worth thinking about.
    If you wanna host a (future) KM forum, just say it !
    Talking about its hypothetical categories (Complete Novice,Average,Advanced, ...), I disagree.
    Flash it's about vectorial drawings (artwork) and ActionScript (programming).
    Nothing more and nothing less.
    These are the real "categories".
    And the 3rd one could be general talk.
    But as I said before, FlashKit is a great (and old) place for KM (from any point of view).

I'm not suggesting setting up another KM forum, I'm completely against that idea . What Im suggesting is at least one sticky thread as a general FAQ and a newbie Q and A thread so that a lot of the general start up questions can be answered quickly and easily (probably just by reading the FAQ). I've been using KM to teach some classes at our local primary school a few hours a week and in the beginning I spent the two hour session answering what "I" considered to be stupid questions when in actual fact they were very pertinent questions that I had forgotten needed answers to. I printed out a simple FAQ, handed it out, and the questions suddenly stopped. A lot of that had to do with the fact that it's an english program and the pupils are spanish so it was more of a translation than anything else, but it certainly worked.
    humanus somes est divinitus in ipsum
    Wiliiam Wallace

Originally posted by gusmus
    I'm not suggesting setting up another KM forum, I'm completely against that idea . What Im suggesting is at least one sticky thread as a general FAQ and a newbie Q and A thread so that a lot of the general start up questions can be answered quickly and easily (probably just by reading the FAQ). I've been using KM to teach some classes at our local primary school a few hours a week and in the beginning I spent the two hour session answering what "I" considered to be stupid questions when in actual fact they were very pertinent questions that I had forgotten needed answers to. I printed out a simple FAQ, handed it out, and the questions suddenly stopped. A lot of that had to do with the fact that it's an english program and the pupils are spanish so it was more of a translation than anything else, but it certainly worked.
    I subscribe.
    Anyway, here is a possible structure of a possible future KM forum:
    http://forum.necromanthus.com
    note: launched for testing purposes only.
    And available until monday evening ...

Super Moderator
    I will give it some thought. Personally I like a flat listing so I don't have to click to get into a category to see what is changed. I think a FAQ section is a good idea.

Originally posted by Bob Hartzell
    I will give it some thought. Personally I like a flat listing so I don't have to click to get into a category to see what is changed.
    Agree

nice!!! the real "categories" are a much better idea than the crap i came up with.

I've gotten alot of help here but i also have alot of very basic questions that i hate to bother asking here, like making some simple things, i've tried doing a few of the tutorials but just can't seem to get it.

Theres alot i don't know once you start talking about code i'm lost....

Good Samaritan
    ˜?