A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Freehand vectorised graphics importing to Flash, how to??

Freehand vectorised graphics importing to Flash, how to??

Hi,

I can import graphics ive made in Freehand into Flash fine, but the trouble is, I get a whole Hoard of symbols, rather than just one symbol that contains the vectorised image.

I can't break apart or flatten the image in Freehand, so have been enduring the pain and just doing all the breaking apart in Flash once ive imported.

But it takes ages and frustrates the heck outta me. I thought of exporting from Freehand as jpeg, then converting to vectorised graphic, but the results were unsatisfactory.

Any ideas how i can get round this problem guys?

Cheerz,
    Dwayne

Quote Originally Posted by ScreaminJesus

I can't break apart or flatten the image in Freehand, so have been enduring the pain and just doing all the breaking apart in Flash once ive imported.

But it takes ages and frustrates the heck outta me. I thought of exporting from Freehand as jpeg, then converting to vectorised graphic, but the results were unsatisfactory.

Any ideas how i can get round this problem guys?

Cheerz,
    Dwayne
    Just select what you want to break apart and hit crtl B until they are totally broken down. How long can that take. Why not just create your stuff in Flash to begin with?
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).

>> How long can that take. Why not just create your stuff in Flash to begin with?

A: A very long time.
    A2: I dont make the graphics, a graphic artist makes them and she uses Freehand.

We have managed to figure out how to import the pictures as 1 symbol that contains LOTS of little grouped shapes, so thats not sooo bad. But, all the shapes are still on the same layer.
    So if i select em all and press CTRL B as you suggest, the picture will be ruined as some objects appear above others, and some below etc.

I would have to seperate all the object groups into layers, and then break apart.

Sure, it can be done, no problem. But when you have to repeat this procedure for 20 pictures in a day, it becomes somewhat tedious.

Im looking for a simpler solution.

Cheerz,
    Dwayne

Tell her to create them in Flash. I haven't found anything I couldn't create in Flash, and I use Illustrator and CorelDraw. But if you like her work you are going to have to learn to live with it.
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).

Actually since Adobe has purchased macromedia, she better find another tool. Since it really looks like Freehand will be orphanned or worse. She needs to learn to work with you.

Hmmm, since they are both Macromedia products, I figured Macromedia would support some kind of export to Flash feature, and I just hadnt found it yet.

Yeah, we are trying to work some stuff out, I will probly get her to make some of the simpler graphics in Flash. Trouble is, her experience with Flash is limited, so she would be much faster in Freehand, just slows me down is all.

Thats life i guess

I use freehand with flash... and have used other artists complex vector graphics in freehand.

All I do is select what I want in freehand, copy it, and paste it into flash and ctrl B until it's busted up...

just plan and organize your material a little bit,
    you can layer stuff out in freehand, and flash,
    convert selections pasted to a layer in flash and animate as a movie, etc....