A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Forums Upgrade induces Firefox Bug

Can't sleep...clowns'll eat me hashc0de's Avatar

Forums Upgrade induces Firefox Bug

It seems that the forums upgrade has caused a bug in firefox users with higher resolutions. The table that contains the content (anything after the header tables), is given a 100% width whereas the header is limited by the advertisement square.

A screenshot for you (pardon the high resolution):
    # c0de

If you want to leave your footprints on the sands of time, do not drag your feet.
    Battles: FK#1 #2

Yeah, it’s not a bug, just a design change. Trying out some new stuff but if folks aren’t liking it then it wont be a problem to put them back. Bear with us and thank you for the feed back

The ad at right should no longer be touching the headers at high res. (1152 and up). Should be centered between the headers and right edge of the page now.

still looks odd but not as bad as before. perhaps centering the top banner to the narrower width of the header and then moving the square advertisement to vertically center to the whole whitespace?
    # c0de

If you want to leave your footprints on the sands of time, do not drag your feet.

Well what we were after here was to minimize the size vertically, so as not to push the forums off the page. There was no functionality removed from either the site header or the vb one, just empty space. We want at least some of the forums to be visible at the bottom of the screen without scrolling.

Understandable. Centering the Square ad in the space that the headers and the upper advert takes would actually reduce vertical space.
    # c0de

Then maybe I don't understand what you mean. How would it do that? If it would reduce it further, I'm definitely interested.

quick graphical preview of what could be done.

current:

possible change:

You can notice the new whitespace if a change like this is made. That will be removed automatically by standard 'packing.' I think the trivial way to implement it is to detect the browser's width and then use a slightly different tableset for the higher resolution browsers.
    Last edited by hashc0de; 06-02-2005 at 05:27 PM.
    # c0de

Oh, I see. I would've loved to have done that. However what is possible at your screen res. is not at our target res. of 1024x768. That's far and away the most common one now so we aim for it. Your layout was foremost in my mind when I was trying to work this out, but it just couldn't be done. But we're thinking alone the same lines at least.

I always wish that in this day and age of high resolution monitors, major sites have inherently scripted in them at least two 'modes.' That's the beauty of extensible languages.

Anyway, cheers.
    # c0de

Well the higher res. have less problem with the forum being pushed off the page, which was our motivation in moving things around like that to begin with. I'm at 1152 at home, and I can see a good chunk of the forum at the bottom. But at work I have to use what most users do, 1024 with a 17" monitor.

I feel the pain on my other machine as well. Here's something I was thinking about. Obviously it needs some fixes..

# c0de

There's no way the 2 ads can occupy the same horizontal line. That's the problem. There's just not enough room. I would've loved it.

Doesn't have to. Just compress the header. Unless that's out of hte question as well.
    # c0de

You have the horizontal ad and the square one, next to each other. That's what I mean. Can't work. No room at 1024. It killed me that I couldn't do it.

Ah. I see now. I need to go back to web design 101. Always think @ 1024.
    # c0de

That square ad overall is pretty horrible. Everytime I view a new page I can't stop thinking about the money it makes you.

The site is free to us...i'll gladly look at a crappy banner(I build them all day).

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    There's a man that takes pride in his work...