A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can someone please tell me why this Flash is causing severe CPU Spikes?!?!

Can someone please tell me why this Flash is causing severe CPU Spikes?!?!

Hey,

This is beyond bizarre. I created a flash in *******, and embedded it into a webpage I am still working on. Then, I started noticing, that my computer kept freezing up, I thought it was because I had too many windows open, or whatever. I was fearful that my computer was getting ready to crash or something. I really didn't know what was causing it, until I found out that it only happens when I have the webpage open in IE or FP, with the flash playing. I opened My task manager, and went to performance, and sure enough, whenever I open the page with the flash, my CPU Usage shoots to 100%, and hovers right around there the whole time. It's really weird. If I close the window it drops instantly down to 10% or so. I thought it had something to do with the way I made the flash, but I found another flash that causes the same problem. Here it is:

Sample

Whenever this flash is on the screen, my CPU usage stays between 90-100%, even if I don't have any other problems open. What the hell is causing this?

Thanks.

Your example only sent me to 35%, where it stayed.

Too many tweens happening at once will cause the worst spike in a flash movie though. And don't count on a ripper to give you a good fla. They don't always add everything in a movie.

Hey,

Thanks so much for the reply. This damn thing locks my computer up. It is weird. I mean as soon as it hits the screen, everything starts to slow down. I can't ever remember a flash doing this to my computer. That flash seems about as simple as they come. They're aren't any other reasons why this is happening? And it's definitely the flash alone causing the problem, because I have loaded it on a webpage by itself, and I get the problem.

Thanks.

Hard to tell what it is. What kind of computer you got?

Hey,

I'm on a Laptop P4 2.0Ghz, 640MB RAM, XP Home. This damn thing, locks up my computer everytime. My computer starts to overheat, the fan kicks on. It's weird man. haha. I haven't ever had a single element, prog, whatever - cause a complete meltdown like this. I can keep open PS, IE, FF, FP, FB etc. All at the same time, I mean some real decent multi-tasking, and the CPU stays below 20%. As soon as I open that damn flash, BAM 100% lockup...computer starts overheating. The crap almost makes me laugh. Like was is this killa? It would destroy my damn computer if I left it open too long. haha

Anyone got any clues...I really need to figure this out, because I am using a flash like this for my website, and it even slows down a dhtml drop-down menu I made with opencube.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Gitman; 06-03-2005 at 11:07 AM.

Hi guys, I am facing a similiar problem. I have written an application in flash which receives messages from server through socket connection. The messages are parsed and displayed in the window. The CPU slowly raises to 100% and doesn't come down even if no socket message is passed. Can any one tell me why this is happening.
    :-)