dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Change MediaPlayback component background colour

Change MediaPlayback component background colour

I know that you can customize the MediaPlayback tool. I've been doing some reading on it and I hear its really difficult. I think the only things that I would like to switch are the background colour and perhaps the play button. I have the MediaComponents.fla...Does anyone know how to do this? Or know a tutorial that could be useful?

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash/mx2004/

Best site I ever found. Bookmark it before you forget.

Thanks for the great site.

I found what I was looking for but the code they provided is still not working.
    I'm only trying to alter the background of the MediaPlayback....to black

I've used this to get rid of the gradient background...didn't work:
    myMedia.backgroundStyle = "none";

They suggested this in the forum and didn't work:
    mymediainst._chrome._toggleNE.unloadMovie();

What can I do to just alter the MediaPlayback background to black?

Here's something I found;

Using skins with media components
    The media components do not support dynamic skinning, although you can open the media component source document and change their assets to achieve the desired look. It is best to make a copy of this file and work from the copy, so that you always have the installed source to go back to. You can find the media component source document at the following locations:

Windows: C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Macromedia\ Flash MX 2004\language\Configuration\ComponentFLA\MediaComp onents.fla

So maybe you just have to open one of them like a movie clip and just change the clip parts themselves. Sounds like it.

Yah i stumbled onto that aswell. It looks slightly out of my league. I don't know what to alter. I tested it out...chanaged somethings but didn't have any effect. I think I've got to export the .swf....but I don't know where.

Too many ifs...I almost need a tutorial that covers it all.

If you drill down far enough in the component in the Library, you can find all the parts. You'll find the field for the background fill and should just be able to change it with the color picker.

First though, find the componet in your flash program on the hard drive and copy it. Paste the copy into another location, so when you start messing with it, you don't change the original component.
    Last edited by iaskwhy; 06-04-2005 at 02:12 PM.

I saved the other mediacomponents.fla as mediacomponents0LD.fla. I've been altering the colours. Where do I export the file to? When I save the file it doesn't effect the mediaplayback component in my other .fla

No, the idea is not to affect the one inside the flash program.

So now you have a fla with a doctored media component. So with the fla opened that you want to use this component in, go to File/Import/Open External Library. Open the fla with the doctored component and drag it to the stage of your movie that you want to use it in.

You can also open both fla's, then just drag anything from one library to the other stage. It get's added to the library of the new movie automatically.

I'd say, delete the one already used in your movie and then import the new one so there is no conflict.

I've imported the new doctored media component. Its black...but there are still some adjustments that I've got to do with it. I think I can figure that out. My question is when I drag the new media component in I don't have control of it in the Compoenent inspector. I can't set the .flv file or other preferences. It also imported all of the buttons/clips/ everything associated with the component into my movie.

I can't duplicate the problem. I did the same thing, and when I drag the playback component from the library to the stage, it's just like any other component, inspector and all.

When I import...I get the MediaComponents Library. What I'm doing is dragging the folder UI Components onto the stage....cause i don't know what else to drag onto the stage.

Ah, OK, try dragging just the media play back component from the main folder instead. That's what I did, and I got the component as usual.

I attached a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for the picture. It seems that I got the component as a whole into the movie....unfortunately, I still can't control any properties. It says "there was an error opening custom UI"

I'm finding it difficult to find the play/pause button.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 4romAshz2Flashz; 06-04-2005 at 06:21 PM.

Just simply export the MediaPlayBack clip to
    C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\Components\Media - Player 6 - 7

it should be
    C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\Components\Media - Player 6 - 7\MediaPlayback.swc

Now restart Flash.

Your new component would be thr. Component parameters will be availble too.
    And DO RENAME THE ORIGINAL MediaPlayback.swc BEFORE...

By the way , I have a query too. I want to change position of volume control. I edited the controller and changed it position.But its always Bottom aligned. And always displayed at bottom. Any idea about it? I couldn't find any AS code to change its position.

Thanks