dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saydesign.com - nice site

Feed me , **** me and shut the

saydesign.com - nice site

http://www.saydesign.com/

new site by www.drawingart.org , I like it, dynamic with a touch of ae on the buttons. gotta love that.

Technology wise it is tops, but design (looks) wise it could use some help.

That is everything DrawingArt does though, technically sound, but sorry to look at.

'Interface overload' alert.

Haven't got it for cars with huge chrome rims, large spoilers or multiple antennas. Same goes for websites.

How do you think they did that particle effect when you put the mouse over the buttons? Looks very cool.

Why do you think the design needs some help? I think it looks great, but then again I'm not a pro so it would be helpful to know where this site is lacking...

Adrian.

Hey kid,

That particle effect "looks" hand-tweened but is probably a simple ActionScript which is just 1 of the many reasons I personally think the site lacks visually.

Where it lacks is what designers and football coaches refer to as "polish" tight clean bevels, shiny objects that actually appear to be shiny. The details is what seperates some thing great looking from something a teenager did afterschool.

It's the little things that make the biggest difference visually.

well done for the most part but very old school.

stupidly i think that button thing is animated.. the animation is the same every time (and same on every button) where with actionscript it would usually be different each time (particles are made usin random functions blahblah) he could have saved himself a lot of time if he knew how to code!

I agree with loststarz.. it just doesnt have the polish..

See Sixblade is on the same page.

If that was done properly those particles would be randomly scripted, but instead it's a small loop animation, those are the details I spoke of prior.

sixblade: why would he change the anmation of the buttons for every button? that would just look terrible. The dude knows how to code, the whole site is dynamic, everything can be changed. and the buttons are made in ae.

I like the site but there is a little too much going on everywhere.

-NITIN ANAND-
    http://www.NANAND78.com
    :::::::::: HTTP://WWW.NANAND78.COM ::::::::::

What? I dont see what you guys are on about with the clutter. I think its a lovely site. Excellent use of color, and very very cool buttons.

Definately cool site in my books.

With regards to those buttons, does anyone know of a tutorial that shows how to create that kind of particle effect. I've tried looking but so far no luck.

jeay - the buttons are not coded - they are individually animated - which is shown by the same bubbles moving in the same directions every time and on every button. I'm not saying he would change the animation for every button.. the bubbles would move in the same general direction every time if coded, but it would be slightly different every time due to the way it has to be coded.

You say the site is dynamic.. well yes, it is dynamic in the way that a lot of the site is animated - but even the weakest flash site displays the same level of dynamism? shown here. Contrary to what I think your belief is, this site is NOT dynamically coded - it is very likely the only coding on this site is on the buttons. Yes, everything can be changed, but not by changing the non-existent code, it will require re-animating to change it.

It's a nice enough site, but just compare it to www.2advanced.com - now tell me that saydesign has the same amount of polish? - it clearly doesn't.

oh for the person that wanted to know how to code the particles.. I literally just coded something the other day that will create this (and a lot more) effects:

1. draw the bubble on the screen.
    2. convert it into a graphic symbol
    3. go back to the main scene.
    4. select the bubble graphic and convert it into a movie.
    5. in this movie, animate the bubble moving in the general direction you want all the bubbles to move (for this example animate it moving to the left) add fading in and out as required.
    6. go back to the main scene again.
    7. make the movie clip that you have just made into another movieclip (now you should have a graphic inside a movieclip inside a movieclip)
    8. open this first movieclip and name the instance of the movieclip inside "dupeme" (without the quotes)
    9. create a new layer called actions inside the first movieclip
    10. in the first frame of this layer put this code:

lyr = "2";

11. put a new keyframe on frame 3 and name the frame "rpt" without the quotes
    12. put this code on frame 3:

if (Number(lyr)>30) {
    // the number in this if statement sets how many bubbles to have onscreen at a time

lyr = "1";
    // do not change this line
    }
    duplicateMovieClip("dupeme", "dupeme" + lyr, lyr);
    // duplicates the movie clip onto a new clip layer - when you put another movieclip in the same layer as a current one, it will delete the previous one.

nAngle = random(90) - 45;
    // sets the angle which the bubbles will potentially move in. in this case we want it approximately 90 degrees in total. The reason for removing 45 degrees is that we initially animated the bubble moving left, but we will want the bubbles to go below as well as above this movement.

setProperty("dupeme" + lyr, _rotation, nAngle);
    // sets the randomised angle onto the current duplicated clip

lyr = Number(lyr)+1;

13. make a new keyframe on frame 4
    14. put this code on frame 4:

gotoAndPlay("rpt");

now hit play and you will see the bubbles moving enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by sixblade
    You say the site is dynamic.. well yes, it is dynamic in the way that a lot of the site is animated - but even the weakest flash site displays the same level of dynamism? shown here. Contrary to what I think your belief is, this site is NOT dynamically coded - it is very likely the only coding on this site is on the buttons. Yes, everything can be changed, but not by changing the non-existent code, it will require re-animating to change it.

No, the whole site is driven by coding, you just need to log on into a controll panel and change what ever you want of text on the site. I know the dude that made it.

2a is so old, and i like the old version of 2a much more then this new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeay
    No, the whole site is driven by coding, you just need to log on into a controll panel and change what ever you want of text on the site. I know the dude that made it.

2a is so old, and i like the old version of 2a much more then this new one.

So basically you posted your buddies site, we didn't like it, and now your going to cry and defend your boy.

YAWN.

Thanks for the detailed lowdown on doing the particles, much appreciated!

Personally I think both sites are good - as for the "2advanced" one, I wouldn't have a clue how to go about doing something like that

adrianb: no problem! hope it'll help ya some

-- if you follow the method of creating a random number and then assigning a property with it you can do the same to create a whole load of effects! i created a simple wave effect with white lines moving horizontally up the screen, the angle changed by approx 10 degrees max and the x position changed to spread across the width of the screen. Let me know what you come up with from it !

jeay: sorry to tell you this, but the text being driven by coding doesn't mean the whole site is. it is completely obvious the bubbles aren't coded to anyone with a clue about how these things work. i understand there is probably some coding in there but there is nothing that is SPECIAL there, the way the coding is used, regardless of whether you think your friends site is dynamic or not, still lacks the polish that you can see on professionally made sites.

The reason I keep bringing the bubbles back up is this is a very obvious thing that shows he is not a professional; he wasted time manually animating these when he could have done it so much simpler - if he knew how! It would actually run faster with coding too than with the 30ish levels i imagine he used there by the way.

Rather than defending his site I think your time would be better spent telling him what we've said about his site so he can improve it! If you/he can't accept criticism when it is given, then please don't ask for it.

Following your side note, yes 2a is old, i agree, the old version was better, but it still shows a professional finish and is therefore a good example for this.
    Last edited by sixblade; 06-09-2005 at 06:42 PM.

Stupid noobs. Coming in here and raving on about something you dont know. So what if he posted his friends site? It's a fecking great site and if it wasnt for him posting it in here I wouldnt have seen it. Sure this place is to post your opinions about the site, but you dont flame the goddam person who posted it! Idiots. I doubt you wouldnt defend your friend, and he didnt say its a friend anyways, he said its someone he knows. Also before passing comments like that, you gotta remember to use a bit of respect as Jeay could kick your ass in anything design related anyday.

If you wanna flame, dont be an idiot. Flame with reason. If you're just gonna pass comments because you think you're being a smart ass or you're gonna look cool, you deserve to be banned. And why the hell bring up 2A? Since when do you judge the quality of a site by comparing it to others? You judge it on your own personal opinion. How much inspiration it defined for you. Dont be cliche and compare every goddam thing to 2A!

On a lighter note, im digging the site the more I explore it, hope he puts up his portfolio soon, cant wait to see it.

Who said he was my friend? I said i know him. Talked to him 4-5times on msn thats it.
    Because of people like this is why i left flashkit, and by looking at the number of posts lately I see many has done as I. Left this forum. I think it was a good site, thats why i posted it.

sixblade: The client dosent need it to be fully programed so why do you care? You can look at any site 2a has made and say the same things you just said here.

have a nice vecation, would be the last time you see me here.