dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: saydesign.com - nice site

Jeay, dont let newbie's like him ruin your place here at FK. I can confidentally tell you that I dont speak alone when I say that I respect you and your work and wouldnt want you to leave.

As for the noobs here, hopefully a moderator will take care of them soon.

Why is it everytime a site that looks like this comes around, everyone jumps on it being "too much". From what I saw, it's aimed towards gaming and cartoon-esque design so it fits.

It's done well and is interesting to use. This isn't a site for a financial institution after all.

As for the 2A stuff, they haven't been showing much lately so I'm not sure where the slam on them came from or why. I personally think we all need to get off our high horses and just say this site is cool ... for what it is ... old school or not ... rims or no ... for what it is, it's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by zakp0
    As for the noobs here, hopefully a moderator will take care of them soon.
    Take care of what?

No one's being abusive here, people are giving opinions and calling people "stupid noobs" is the only thing that's out of line in this thread.

Look, this is a discussion forum believe it or not, and we're talking about subjective issues, there will always be disagreements and if people can't talk about things like this without getting bent out of shape then perhaps this isn't the best place for them. Does everyone just want a forum where we're all nodding in agreement all the time?

Sixblade said some things which were harsh but at the same time he did everything he could to back up those statements, whether he's right or wrong is entirely subjective. I could call george bush a lame unprofessional president and give a bunch of reasons, doesn't mean I'm right but it doesn't mean I've said anything wrong either.

This forum would be boring if people just keep saying things like "it's cool" every time someone posts a site. It is boring. I'd rather see a lot more discussion than two or three word responses. Everyone has a *real* opinion on these sites, give it, stimulate something. If you're going to post a site here, or in site check, realise that not everyone is going to like it, some people are going to hate it, no matter how good you think it is.

I've seen a lot worse crap from all the 2a haters and the 2a lovers on this board in the past, deal with it.

Hi zakp0, I didn't mean for you to get your panties in a bunch, just sharing my opinion.

Don't remember "flaming" anyone, but it is kinda cheesy to post a "guy you know's" site, ask us for our opinion, then cry like a girl when you get the opinion you didn't want.

P.S. I am not a noob, I have been coming here for years, this is just a new profile to reflect a new studio launch coming up this Summer/Fall.

Guess I will stop coming in this thread, as I am already making "friends".
    Last edited by Loststarz; 06-10-2005 at 01:42 PM.

and a big thanks to Aversion, I didn't think I had crossed any lines or anything but it's nice to have the big cheeses back that up.

jeay: by no means do i think this crit should mean you leave the site. you asked for crit and i gave it - the site doesn't have a professional finish - and though it got blown out of proportion into me having to explain exactly why i said that because you got heated over it because it is your friend or whatever, it was advice which you asked for and we spent our time giving you the advice, even if you didn't like it. You need to learn to accept criticism just as well as you accept comments saying something is good, which the site is (I hope I never denied that since it wouldn't be true) - just without the extra bit that makes it amazing.

Also you're right it doesn't need to be fully programmed I was only saying that it wasn't since you said that it was and I felt you needed to be informed otherwise! By the way your own site splash page looks quite nice, I'd like to see how the whole site is when done.

zapk0: i really don't know what you're talking about. I didn't try to show any lack of respect, obviously he got very angry about someone criticising his site when that is what he asked us to do. Also it is irrelevant whether jeay would "kick my arse" in anything design related or not - it was not his site we were criticising here (and since I have 5+ years experience behind me I'm sure I could at least put up a fight!)

I didn't flame, I criticised the site and then explained why I said what I did. Just because he thinks his friends site is amazing, and we think its good but lacks the professional touch, is no reason for him or you to get heated and angry about.

Why the hell bring up 2A? Perhaps because it is a professionally finished site (not the best or worst professional site by a long mile, but there is something there that makes you think WOW when you see it the first time - at least for the old version) It was an EXAMPLE to prove a point - if he can see where other sites succeed where his is failing, then he can work on improving his site better. This is the only time I have used 2a as a comparison.

Unfortunately design is subjective as aversion has said, and you can't say oh this, this, this is wrong, you should do this and this to make it professional.. it doesn't work like that there are no hard fast and set rules, only what looks amazing and what isn't-quite-there-yet.

Seriously though, if he doesn't want people saying its not the best site in the world, then perhaps he should post the site on a forum of 14 year olds, they will all say "wow" and "cool" and all will be happy!

Right on ZAK....I am a newbie, and don't have a clue about any of this, but I know what I like. I looked at a couple of the people who were rantings sites thinking, if they think this sis so bad they must really have cool sites... one does'nt have a site... hmmmm!

"so bad" - when did i say the site was bad? never. its good, but lacks a professional finish. this is the last time i'm going to post in this thread as frankly i'm bored.

kiss designer
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and design is subjective. We are all going to have different opinions about each site and I think the problem with this thread is that some of the comments came across very condescending and that is why some are upset about it. Like look at the last post “as frankly I’m bored” comes across as very arrogant to me. I’m not a moderator, but thought I would give my 2 cents on it.

This site carries an older style, but still one of my favorite styles and I think 99% of the population seeing this site would still think “Wow”. I think they executed it quite nicely and have some pretty cool AE effects too. Sure the backend may not be as strong as some others, but visually it is attracting and engaging.

I know being professional designers we are on a different level from the norm when it comes to design and we are very finicky about the end result which gives it the extra polish and edge over most sites. I think however in this case with the comment about the buttons be able to generate randomly is a little overboard and this would not impact my opinion of the site.

I like it

not so beautiful,but good!

i can't believe im having to post again in this thread. the reason i said frankly im bored is because im fed up of doing exactly this: explaining the same point over and over again!

the bubble thing is very picky yes - but it was another example used to show where he is not doing the site in a professional way - as it could have been done faster (as i explained)

Feed me , **** me and shut the
    sixblade: I guess we just got different taste. I guess i overreacted a bit over some of the hars replays. Seems to me that the feedback on this site goes up and down alot, some like it some dont, way of life i guess. hehe

good to see you back

the site looks good.

All this up & downs make me think that everyone faces this problem & one is not alone. ; - )
    www.digitalanand.net - Ultimate source of cool motion effects

Quote Originally Posted by zaxt
    Right on ZAK....I am a newbie, and don't have a clue about any of this, but I know what I like. I looked at a couple of the people who were rantings sites thinking, if they think this sis so bad they must really have cool sites... one does'nt have a site... hmmmm!
    I hate this "if you can't do better shut up" attitude, it has no baring whatsoever on what someone's opinion of a site is. It's like saying you shouldn't criticise a film unless you can make a better one, or give an opinion on a car unless you can build a better one. These are web sites, they're meant to be used by people, not web designers. The people that use a site will always be the ones who have the final say in whether it works for them or not, whether it looks good to them or not, regardless of their skill at web design.

Every one has different opinions, people will not always agree, get over it.

I love the "if you can't do better shut up" attitude.

Well, not exactly "do better" but I think the point is if you're just going to criticize something yet have no suggestions on how to make it better, then you're just *****ing and that's not constructive. I think that's the point here.

Basically, if you're going to say something sucks, then when asked, say "well, if you do x y and z it might help" is good. But if you can't, it makes me think that you're just trying to be a smartass or didn't really think your opinion through.

On the other hand, as far as websites go, web designers should know how to make them more useable to joe-public and if joe-public says it isn't, then it isn't.

However, I agree, unless you've got a better idea or suggestions, you're opinion is more like a dog that won't stop barking ... lots of noise but means very little.
    Last edited by villain2; 06-15-2005 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by villain2
    Basically, if you're going to say something sucks, then when asked, say "well, if you do x y and z it might help" is good. But if you can't, it makes me think that you're just trying to be a smartass or didn't really think your opinion through.
    That's the same as a doctor saying to a patient, if you can't tell me what disease you have stop whining. Yes, constructive criticism is good but you do not have to be an expert to give a constructive opinion about a car, a film or a web site. You give your opinion, educated or not, if you think it always sounds like someone being a smartass then that's your problem, not theirs.

That's the same as a doctor saying to a patient, if you can't tell me what disease you have stop whining.
    Okay, that makes no sense but whatever.

Yes, everyone can have an opinion ... whether or not it's valid is up to you. I'm saying that I would agree that if you don't have something to back up what you're saying, or some suggestions as to why you think it's not-so-good, or even some helpful comments ... you're basically just slamming something.

If someone (and they have) criticizes something I do and says "it sucks" and that's it, I'll ask "well, what would you suggest" and if they can't come back with anything but "I don't know, it just sucks" then their opinion doesn't hold too much weight with me, is not helpful, and in the end just dismissive.

Say whatever you want to about movies, websites, music etc, but at least have something valid to back that up -again, not saying people can't just say "it sucks" but the opinion carries more weight when it's more thought out beyond "it sucks".

Besides, if it's okay for anyone to criticize anything (in their eyes) without merit, constructive comments, or perspective ... it should be okay for others to dismiss their comments based on lack of merit (in their eyes).
    Last edited by villain2; 06-15-2005 at 03:55 PM.